pal251

converting old rj45 cameras

My friend needs a new DVr. He has a 10 year old system made by Samsung with what appears to be rj45 or rj11 plugs. The cameras go to the monitor and then it has bnc output from there.

Can I just cut the ends off and run a video and power off the cable with new cameras? I think he just wants a new dvr but I think he should upgrade his cameras.

He lives about 3 hours away and I don't think the cable is twisted pair

If you can use the existing cable for pulls, change it out with Siamese and upgrade your friends cameras for him.

If you can't, or he doesn't want to upgrade, you will have to figure out which wires are power and which ones

are ground and convert them on the dvr end. If he wants to upgrade cameras but you cannot run wires, than try baluns and see what happens. But for the record, I would tell my friend, listen, if I'm going to do this for you,

I want to do it right, and do not want to drive another 3 hours because your not happy with the upgrade. Try

to convince him to run the correct cable, upgrade cameras, and the dvr all at once. Thats my .02

My friend needs a new DVr. He has a 10 year old system made by Samsung with what appears to be rj45 or rj11 plugs. The cameras go to the monitor and then it has bnc output from there.

Can I just cut the ends off and run a video and power off the cable with new cameras? I think he just wants a new dvr but I think he should upgrade his cameras.

He lives about 3 hours away and I don't think the cable is twisted pair

Be careful !

If I remember correct Samsung in the past use power and video thru the same cable

Be careful !

If I remember correct Samsung in the past use power and video thru the same cable

and also the old samsung were only 7volt from the monitor.

I think he just wants a new dvr

the old samsung cameras are only 240 tvl

for the time in sorting out new power ... dvr and cameras even just going for a kit will save you time.

take a look at the dahua 4 way and dahua budget cameras and install new cat5

Thanks for the input. You guys reaffirmed my idea of thinking of just replacing the cameras and dvr. I will probably just pickup a qvis (dahua) dvr and 4 of the cheaper $40 cameras.

I would like to run separate power wire instead of cat5 because it looks cleaner. Am I the only one that seems to do that anymore?

Well a few of my thoughts on this. Cat5e takes less space in conduit, hides easier behind vinyl siding, looks less conspicuous (if you use white Cat5e on white wall), has a smaller cable diameter and is compatible with IP for future needs and changes.

This device is a balun, audio, and power connector for sending analog video with cat5e cable:

ux_a11052400ux0078_ux_c.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-UTP-RJ45-BNC-Audio-Video-Balun-Connector-for-CCTV-Camera-/330753321672

Using something like this gives you power, video, and audio (check with your local state laws if audio can be legally recorded) over one cat5e, and when you have the Cat5e in place at camera locations, upgrades to IP can be easier in the future.

Siamese Cable or Rg59 +18/2 sometimes gave us better picture in analog systems when run close to power lines or some other sources of interference.

I would like to run separate power wire instead of cat5 because it looks cleaner. Am I the only one that seems to do that anymore?

Well a few of my thoughts on this. Cat5e takes less space in conduit, hides easier behind vinyl siding, looks less conspicuous (if you use white Cat5e on white wall), has a smaller cable diameter and is compatible with IP for future needs and changes.

This device is a balun, audio, and power connector for sending analog video with cat5e cable:

ux_a11052400ux0078_ux_c.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-UTP-RJ45-BNC-Audio-Video-Balun-Connector-for-CCTV-Camera-/330753321672

Using something like this gives you power, video, and audio (check with your local state laws if audio can be legally recorded) over one cat5e, and when you have the Cat5e in place at camera locations, upgrades to IP can be easier in the future.

Siamese Cable or Rg59 +18/2 sometimes gave us better picture in analog systems when run close to power lines or some other sources of interference.

What if the power box is not next to the dvr then what do you do? Also how do you connect the wires into the powerbox if the powerbox does not have a dc jack and only screw terminals

Very professional advice

There are many ways to build a camera system.

I have never seen your setup and thus can only offer generic advice.

If you have unique circumstance for a 4ch camera system (multiple power boxes, power box in separate area from dvr, etc, etc.) then you may either tell us of those so we can give more specific advice or this is the best I can personally offer.

Good Luck.

What if the power box is not next to the dvr then what do you do? Also how do you connect the wires into the powerbox if the powerbox does not have a dc jack and only screw terminals

195779_1.jpg

Or, just snip the barrel connector off the balun and extend it with a piece of wire.

This is, I assume, using UTP Cat5e cable? Have you tried using STP cable? I'd think this would eliminate the interference issues.

Hi Guys

I know its an old thread but I thought i'd give it a go. Im also facing this issue. Working on a friends restaurant and it has 2 floors and an existing bosch system as mentioned above.

Im changing the cameras and dvr to bnc Qvis with a new power supply for all cameras. I don't want to be replacing all the wires. Could i just use the already installed rj11 wire and chop the ends, instead use rj45 crimp on ends with bnc to rj45 baluns to balance the signal.

Either that or spend hours changing the wires, I always use cat5 now but it would save me a hell of a lot of time...

If so I could connect one pair for video and one pair for power as it is a cat5 UTP pair??

Just an idea

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Droid

I completed the above task today !!!!

Just for information incase anybody else struggles with this sometime in the future..

I used the rj11 4pin wires that connect to the old bosch cameras. replaced cameras and dvd.

The rj11 wire has 4 wires (colours not the same for each cam)

I used two for video, two for power +/-

I then crimped rj45 ends to the rj11 wire using the first two and last two pins of the rj45 connector

Used baluns on the dvr side and camera side (not sure if i needed to on both sides but did anyway)

Replaced camera and connect to dvr and 'wallah' it worked

Just wanted to add that I am faced with a similar issue with one of those old rj 11 systems. This is my first attempt at cctv, and though I managed to convince the boss to upgrade his 4 channel system circa the 90's, he wanted to use the old cameras instead of buying new ones. Mind you this is after we just got robbed and had zero video evidence as the old system doesn't even record. Also, he also plans on buying a 32" lcd to display the camera feeds to customers to dissuade theft, but the old cameras are like 240 tvl and I'm guessing will look terrible on a screen that big. Anyway, he bought an 8 channel HD dvr under my advice. I had hoped everything would mesh, but then of course discovered that the old cameras use rj 11. Researched it a little and, as someone noted above, learned that the old cameras are powered directly by the Samsung CCTV monitor. I was basically screwed and boxed my boss into having to spend more, but then I noticed that there were 4 BNC outputs in the back of the old monitor. I connected each of these to the new DVR and sure enough, they all showed up on the new unit. The solution was simply to piggyback the new DVR off the old. And now that he's seen how terrible the old cameras look connected to a brand new unit, I was able to convince him to supplement the 4 old cameras with 2 HD cameras. I found an 8 channel power box for $40, cameras for $50 each, and some cheap Siamese wiring. Incidentally, the boss has a triple play package for our company internet and phone, but has been paying for cable and not using it for over three years. I was able to connect the cable box to the old Samsung, and now it functions as both a power source and throughput for the 4 old cameras and a television for our breaks, simultaneously. The new DVR records all 6 channels. Once the 32" LCD arrives, I plan on displaying the two HD camera images larger than the other 4 , which will hopefully give the allusion that all 6 cameras are of similar quality. Anyway, that's one option if you hadn't already surmised.

Just wanted to add that I am faced with a similar issue with one of those old rj 11 systems. This is my first attempt at cctv, and though I managed to convince the boss to upgrade his 4 channel system circa the 90's, he wanted to use the old cameras instead of buying new ones. Mind you this is after we just got robbed and had zero video evidence as the old system doesn't even record. Also, he also plans on buying a 32" lcd to display the camera feeds to customers to dissuade theft, but the old cameras are like 240 tvl and I'm guessing will look terrible on a screen that big. Anyway, he bought an 8 channel HD dvr under my advice. I had hoped everything would mesh, but then of course discovered that the old cameras use rj 11. Researched it a little and, as someone noted above, learned that the old cameras are powered directly by the Samsung CCTV monitor. I was basically screwed and boxed my boss into having to spend more, but then I noticed that there were 4 BNC outputs in the back of the old monitor. I connected each of these to the new DVR and sure enough, they all showed up on the new unit. The solution was simply to piggyback the new DVR off the old. And now that he's seen how terrible the old cameras look connected to a brand new unit, I was able to convince him to supplement the 4 old cameras with 2 HD cameras. I found an 8 channel power box for $40, cameras for $50 each, and some cheap Siamese wiring. Incidentally, the boss has a triple play package for our company internet and phone, but has been paying for cable and not using it for over three years. I was able to connect the cable box to the old Samsung, and now it functions as both a power source and throughput for the 4 old cameras and a television for our breaks, simultaneously. The new DVR records all 6 channels. Once the 32" LCD arrives, I plan on displaying the two HD camera images larger than the other 4 , which will hopefully give the allusion that all 6 cameras are of similar quality. Anyway, that's one option if you hadn't already surmised.

Sorry but that is just a mess. Considering an 8ch 1080p complete CVI system (hd over coax) is 400 dollars...8 cameras, 2tb drive...

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-2TB-HDD%2c-8-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision.product.100218592.html

It's not a mess. The technical term is "hot mess". Anyway, the original question was whether someone can use the old cameras on a newer DVR. I have achieved this by piggybacking off the old DVR without having to mod any wires. So yes, it can be done. Maybe you'd be willing to try to convince my boss to get a DVR package such as the one you shared, cause I sure as hell couldn't.

I have been asking the same question to no avail I was able to find this per Samsung Tech Support

Here is Samsungs Wiring diagram

1. Nothing (12V)

2. Nothing (GND)

3. Gray (GND (AUDIO))

4. Red (12V)

5. Black (GND)

6. White (N.C)

7. Green (CVBS-)

8. Yellow (CVBS+)

This should help you hook up a BNC adapter to Samsung Cameras.

Sorry PDFs not allowed but if you need it email me jeff@shenanigansfun.com I will email it to you previous reply has what wires do and color code it I have an actual diagram in PDF format.

I used the rj11 4pin wires that connect to the old bosch cameras. replaced cameras and dvd.

The rj11 wire has 4 wires (colours not the same for each cam)

I used two for video, two for power +/-

I then crimped rj45 ends to the rj11 wire using the first two and last two pins of the rj45 connector

Used baluns on the dvr side and camera side (not sure if i needed to on both sides but did anyway)

Replaced camera and connect to dvr and 'wallah' it worked

The monitors on my old Bosch Eazeo system (rebadged old Philips Reo) - 8-input multiplex plus two slave monitors - are slowly dying and the cameras, although working fine, are nowadays some way off the pace for image quality. So I would like to upgrade the cameras and replace the old monitors with maybe 17in flat screens.

I'm reading that I can use my existing (well buried) Bosch system 4-wire dual twisted pair cabling and just use adapters to convert the old RJ11 connectors to BNC. But this wonderful cable carries everything including power, video, 2-way audio and telemetry commands to an "Action Box" component which opens and closes my entrance gates by pressing a button on any of my monitors (or my remote control).

Will I still have this POE functionality through BNC adapters as I really don't want to lay new power cable? And how will I be able to interface with my existing intercom and gate opener controls without the proprietary Bosch monitors? Could I introduce a DVR into the system to give me these controls?

In case it helps, have read elsewhere that my cable gives:

pin 2 = video + ------------------------video ground

pin 1 = video - ------/-----------------video +

pin 3 = power +15v /

pin 4 = ground ----/

Thanks for any help.