CCTVKING

All Tape Recorders will be gone within 6 months

All of the major manufacturers of tape recorders have already ceased the production of tape recorders, including the units used in the CCTV market.

Due to the strict component (hazardous materials) demands placed by the EU and now followed by the United States, tape recorders will be extinct within the next 6 months from all the major manufacturers. One of the largest suppliers of tape recorders in the CCTV market (Sanyo) is currently running on nothing but inventory which is rumored to run out by the begininng of 2006.

From what I have read that is not really true:

"CCTV DVRs are expected to replace 50 percent of analog systems in 2005 and completely take over by 2010. Currently, PC-based DVRs continue to lead in the market, but demand for standalone DVRs is picking up steadily as these versions catch up in performance with a lower price. "

Original Link: http://www.security.globalsources.com/gsol/I/CCTV-digital/a/9000000065476.htm

Second article down on page.

kandcorp - It's not only true, it's already happened. Ask you manufacturer of tape recorders if you are hesitant in believing if this information is accurate. I am looking at a latter from Sanyo who specifies that their inventory will only last them until about February.

You only need to look at the domestic market (here in UK) go into the biggest electrical retailers & you will be hard pressed to find a vcr.

Some of the biggest names have stopped stocking them entirely.

OK cctvking, just stating what I have read. Yea, maybe sanyo have stopped production but there are many other manufacturers of TLVCR's.

I beleive you about Sanyo dont worry.

kandcorp - It is not just Sanyo, it is EVERY major manufacturer of tape recorders. This is not a choice, it's a demand placed by the EU and now followed in the states. There is a "hazardous" or "dangerous" materials as specified by the EU, and therefor, cannot be sold into the EU. The US followed along with the spec once it was obvious that the manufacturers were not going to reengineer their tape recorders. Again, ALL the major manufacturers have shut down their production. I believe the deadline in Europe is 2006 (cease all manufacturing) and the US is late 2006.

I think all they are asking for is some sort of reference. You can hardly go to a customer and say "some guy on this message board I read says" blah blah blah.

Most manufacturers have already released official letters explaining this fact. You can request one from whatever manufacturer you buy through. It makes a great sales tool in upgrading to DVRs.

Belive this we had a local bank still using BETA up to last year. The only reason thier not using it anymore is every time they have a problem the cops take the tape and the bank cant find anyone who still sales them LOL!

Okay... call me an ambulance chaser if you must... but...

Hey Eu. We still offer (and expect to for years) a really nice Time-Lapse VCR at great reseller pricing. Really? Yep! Eu betcha. I can even get eu tapes.

Please contact if in need...

Rick / KrCCTV.com

"Off to register domain "WorldsLastVCR.com"

From what I have heard from my reps (see my vendor list at www.northernvideo.com) Sanyo, Sony,and most of the big names are discontinuing VCR production. My Sanyo rep said they should have stock till May, but you never know. Hell I heard today there is still a manufacture of Beta machines so I seriously doubt VCRs will be extinct. If there is a demand there will always be a supply!!!

Yup, they still make BETA machines. My tv commercial was shot using a BETA2 setup, I couldn't believe they weren't running digital.

BetaCAM (as opposed to Beta/Betamax) is still a staple of professional video systems. It's been used for TV, ENG, etc. for decades and won't likely disappear as quickly as consumer formats.

BTW, I first learned about this a couple days ago when I hit my local Burtek for a replacement VCR, and they told me VCRs were no longer being made and they had only a very limited stock left. It's down to the crunch now!

In honor of the 6 month anniversary of this thread I'd like to take the opportunity to offer our unbranded "major brand" Time Lapse VCR at awesome dealer pricing (only dealer inquiries accepted).

Oh... also just got word (despite earlier predictions to the contrary)... the sky is not falling

then I guess the King is really dead? sorry, had too say it...............

long live the digital dynasty.

I agreed with VST, digital is the future, no doubt about it. Just think digital waveform is everywhere.