Sign in to follow this  
SRTCCTV

Voltage Drop

Hey Everyone,

Im doing a residential community install. I installed a total of 7 HD 1080 cameras. 3 of those cameras are within 100 ft of the power supply and they are working great. 2 others are at 823 ft and the other 2 are 523 ft away from the power supply. Im getting a 6.94 Volts at the cameras. Do you think if I upgrade the power supply to a 24 enough voltage would reach the cameras. Really trying to avoid adding 2 additional power supplies as the cameras are in opposite direction.

You are discovering all the things that should have been addressed in the planning stage. If the cameras are HD-SDI then your voltage drop may not be your only problem. Those longer cable runs are a fair bit beyond what is recommended for HD-SDI. If they are dual voltage cameras ( 12Vdc/24Vac) then yes the simplest way would be to run them at 24Vac.

I thought about that before installing but figured it would be ok. Cameras are HD-TVI. GIVING it a try in just a few. I will post results.

Thanks

HD-TVI will have no problems over that distance. Your problem is that you really need 3 different voltages to supply your cameras. One supply simply wont do it unless you have 24Vac cameras. If you get a supply to run the closest cameras you only have 6v at the furthest cameras. If you get a supply to run the furthest cameras your closest cameras will have about 18V. You have no easy way out.

Right, the best way is using 24 AC. The volt will be no lose.

Or you could adjust the power supply to increase the DC volt, example 15V, the closest and furtherest will have different volt. That is why some camera have WD type.

approx 250 meters dc carrying would be a big cable required to get the volt drop out. it would be wise to power cameras locally if possible so id say additional 2 power supplies reuquired

WD, I mean the camera with wide voltage design (9-20V), so when you increase the volt output of the power supply, the closest camera wouldn't damaged.