Sign in to follow this  
EGG5

Freezing playpack, missing recordings with multiple cameras

Hello,

I have a Swann DVR4-1425 4 channel. Swann equipment not the greatest I know.

I decided to actually use all 4 cameras on the system instead of just 1 that I had been using for over a year.

However, since adding the multiple cameras I have started having missing recordings on different cameras at different times and the dvr freezes up when I am trying to playback the footage. The cameras are set to record constantly so it is nothign to do with schedule, motion detection etc.

When the dvr freezes though it is still recording as I have timed it and looked back at the footage. Must this mean that the whole dvr is not totally jammed, but rather the playback?

Do you think this is because the dvr cannot handle multiple cameras? Is this likely to improve by changing anything recording wise, like fps, resolution? Or actually getting a better hard drive like a purple WD?

Or is it nothing to do with the HDD but some other component?

Any help is appreciated

Hello,

Well i too faced similar issue...only some camera recirding missing, and when i tried to play them DVR freezes.

In all my cases HDD was the reason of the problem...may be due to bad sectors.

Try performing a full format of the HDD by connecting it to a PC....if no success try another HDD.

Tibbu, thanks for the reply. I will try your suggestion.

Securame, thanks for the reply. I do not know what the HDD is. It was the preinstalled 500gb hdd that swann put in. From the software menu I have looked at the device section and then under the S.M.A.R.T section. The No: WD-WCAV9CY65 is there. I have googled this put not found any exact matches, but it seems that would mean itis some kind of Western Digital hdd,perhaps the green type?

Open the unit and see for yourself. But I think you should buy a better HD.

You are recording 4 channels 24/7, and trying to playback at the same time. Makes sense that a cheap HD might not like that.

opened it up and the hdd is a wd5000avds-63u7b1.( i needed telling to open it up )

So this is a Western Digital Green AV-GP with 32mb cahce and 500gb.

Do you think a WD Purple 1TB with 64mb cache will be a good improvement?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5-inch-Internal-Surveillance-Storage-Drive/dp/B00IMPO5VU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435318987&sr=8-2&keywords=wd+purple

Thank you people for your help.