Sign in to follow this  
pharmer1

New home prewired with COAX :(

Hello everyone, my wife and I moved into our new home 3 years ago. We opted to prewire 4 outdoor security cameras with the builder. I knew nothing about about security systems. The builder used COAX not CAT6. Seems like anyone prewiring a system should have used CAT6.

Anyhow, I want to purchase an Analogue HD 4 camera system rather than pulling CAT6 through the walls. Can you recommend a 4 camera 720/1080 system which will provide good image quality. 2 cameras pointed at the yard (coax exits the wall about 11' up from ground not eaves), 1 camera pointed at the driveway (coax exits eaves 12' up), and 1 camera for the front door (coax exits wall 7' up from ground). The Hikvision turbo hd looks nice but I cant find anywhere online that sells it. Budget of ~$1000 Canadian.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Curt

Hello everyone, my wife and I moved into our new home 3 years ago. We opted to prewire 4 outdoor security cameras with the builder. I knew nothing about about security systems. The builder used COAX not CAT6. Seems like anyone prewiring a system should have used CAT6.

Anyhow, I want to purchase an Analogue HD 4 camera system rather than pulling CAT6 through the walls. Can you recommend a 4 camera 720/1080 system which will provide good image quality. 2 cameras pointed at the yard (coax exits the wall about 11' up from ground not eaves), 1 camera pointed at the driveway (coax exits eaves 12' up), and 1 camera for the front door (coax exits wall 7' up from ground). The Hikvision turbo hd looks nice but I cant find anywhere online that sells it. Budget of ~$1000 Canadian.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Curt

4 CH TVI plus 4 cams and you done under $ 1000 CA

A semi-ouch on the new build ending up with coax, but it happens.

Doing IP cams over coax is pricey using baluns (basically little-mini-modems on each end of the coax...after all, that's how cable internet is done).

But a +1 to ak357

The high-def analogs do a good 1080P (about 2MP) and it does look good.

Whichever version you go with (CVI, AHD, TVI, SDI etc.), it means (at least as of this year) you'll stay with that same technology as you can't mix them. So like all TVI or all AHD.

When I have customers with a lot of existing coax that want to go to high definition (without recabling to network cable), I've been doing TVI. And not only because of quality (SDI looks just as good to me on the screen), but simply because it's easier at the shop to focus on one of them.