scotland1980

New CCTV install full story (with poss power probs)

hi all,

i am in the middle of renewing my work yards CCTV wiring as rats have destroyed the wiring to the six CCTV system we have ATM.

old system was

dvr - dedicated micros Sprite2 80gig 9 ch,

power - cat5e cable powering all the box cameras, power from a 14v bench psu,

one - rg59 coax to each camera for vision,

so i decided to upgrade a little i wanted to add 10 more cctv

dvr - GANZ 16-channel 960H DVR 1Tb,

cctv - 10x Swann PRO-842 High-Resolution Bullet Security Cameras,

power - 4x 9CH DC 12V 5A Amp CCTV Distribution box,

power cable - 300m 2-Core 0.75mm,

vision - 300m cat5e solid core /300m rg6 bnc

8x 4CH Passive Video Balun.

so plan is 4 cctv units in each corner,

so i have put up 4 junction boxes in each corner of building and have put one balun in each box.

Next to this i have put one 9ch 12v 5amp distribution power box.

i then put up the CCTV units each with there own junction box, terminated cables and left in junction box.

Next i ran cat5e cables to all corners of the shed each to there own junction box were the baluns are and terminated with a RJ45 connectors and connected to the baluns. (First mistake using wrong type of rj45 connectors using stranded core ones instead of solid core plugs).

Next i ran 4 x rg6 cables using twist on bnc connectors, from each balun junction box to each CCTV unit no more than 15m away each.

(second mistake using rg6 cable should have been rg59 as twist on bnc connectors struggle to fit rg6, plus wrong shield).

next i done the power supply,

i ran 4 x 2-Core 0.75mm from each 9CH DC 12V 5A CCTV Distribution box to each CCTV unit and used 2.1mm DC Cable Camera Jack Plug on each side of the wires and used ferrules on wire strands.

Put a test monitor on each bnc junction box got a picture from every CCTV unit went back and wired up the DVR, have found 3 out of the 4 cameras in each corner give a decent picture (a little wavy but i think this because of rg6 and bad twist on bnc connectors or bad contacts from rj45 plugs being for stranded core and not solid core).

Now to my problem finally,

All cameras are giving vision on the test monitor from the bnc connectors and from the cat5e but when i put them on the DVR i get no vision

my thinking is that the power supply is not giving enough amps for the 4 cameras each box has a max of 5 amps does this sound likely.

if so is there a way to boost the amp output of these power distribution boxes i know i can adjust the voltage with the screw but does that effect the amps as i think each channel is limited to 1.1a.

kind regards

scot

Oks just update,

So i have checked all my connections and have researched about power and how volts and amps work.

So i have concluded that it aint the power boxes that are at fault, i am now looking at the rg6 cable and the rg59 connectors.

i was going to replace the rg6 with rg59,

but i am finding it impossible to get rg59 with pure copper core and 95% copper braided shield.

All i keep finding is rg59 with CCS core and CCA braid.

So i am going to remove all the rg6 cable and replace it with cat5e, my problem is how do i split the one cat5e to the 4 cctv units but i think i have found the answer.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/zbkxm68

With these i can split my cat5e cable,

I will remove the 4 way bnc baluns that are being used to feed the 4 cctv units,

then i plan to put a single balun in each junction box next to each cctv unit

Question is will the splitter effect the cctv signal i will soon find out

Regards scot

Hi. The splitter idea is no good for you.

If your going cat5 you will need baluns .... And if your going to re cable then run cat5 to each camera this will allow you to upgrade later

Been while since i update this forgot all about this project log

Anyhow got my 16 channel system running they are all on cat5e cables with baluns at each end one wire is running 4 cctv units with a spilter to the units no problems

I will hopefully get some photos and give a good update very soon