MHammett

American Dynamics Mega Switch LT and CC300 Keyboard

I'm a general IT guy that's handy in a few areas.

One of my clients has a bunch of cameras that go through an American Dynamics MegaSwitch LT and then onto some DVRs. They have a CC300 keyboard to control the output on three monitors.

They called me in because the monitors were all dead. The DVRs still saw the cameras fine. I found a blown fuse in the Mega Switch and replaced it. The monitors have video now, but while the MegaSwitch powers up the keyboard, it seems to be ignoring any commands I issue. It never displays a menu. Would anyone be able to lend some advice as to what to look for or try next?

The communication settings on the MegaPower LT have to match those of the CC300 or they wont talk to each other. They may have reset when the fuse blew. I believe the default baud rate on the MegaPower for ADNet is 19200 and the default RS-232 setting is 9600, 8 bits, 1 stop, no parity. Unplug the keyboard cable for a moment. When you plug it back in, it should show you whether it's in RS-232 or RS485 mode and what the baud rate is. If it isn't one of the default values, you can try setting it to one of them.

Unplug the keyboard and plug it back in. Press the Shift and Menu Escape buttons at the same time when it starts booting up. The display on the keyboard should say "Special Configuration". Press the rewind button. Select RS485 or RS232 using the 1 or 2 number buttons and then press enter. Use the 0 button to move through the baud rates until you get to the default value. Select it and let the keyboard boot up again. Hopefully that'll get you back in business.

The keyboard is in RS485 mode at 19200 per the power cycle method. I thought that's what the Mega Switch LT would be in that mode as well.

I'm not sure. I tried a few different sites. I don't know how to determine or set the site ID of the switch. The manual doesn't seem to say. It shows me how to set the keyboard to the site id, but it assumes I know what it is.

Default Site ID is 09, I believe. You change the number in the internal menu, so it's not something anyone is able to do with yours right now. I'll do a little looking. I know I had the procedure for resetting a MegaPower LT to factory defaults at one time.

Power off the unit. Put a jumper on CON 30. Power it back on for one minute, then power it off. Remove the jumper and power it back on. That should reset the RS-485 and RS-232 baud rates, the administrator and supervisor passwords, the camera and preset settings, and the site number (back to 9).

Power off the unit. Put a jumper on CON 30. Power it back on for one minute, then power it off. Remove the jumper and power it back on. That should reset the RS-485 and RS-232 baud rates, the administrator and supervisor passwords, the camera and preset settings, and the site number (back to 9).

Can I send you a case of your choice of beer, within reason?