a2rjh

Bars on CCTV

Hello all,

A new guy @CCTV. I've searched and read a lot of the posts here, and have either missed or not finding an answer.

I purchased a Hik DSQ 16ch DVR. Ran cat6 UTP, terminated with baluns (ferrules at camera ends & DVR ends). PS is a 10amp transformer. Cameras are generic 12VDC HD-TVI 1080p ones. So far, I put 7 cameras on the PS.

I am getting these vertical rainbow colored bars, about 3/4 inch wide; that scrolled from left or right (not all channels scrolled in the same direction).

Made sure that the cables are away from house wirings. I went as far as moving the cat6 around/jiggled and re-cutting the ends and re-crimped with new ferrules.

These bars appeared only during the day. IR at night is fine, although it may be that it's not as obvious in B&W.

What is odd is one camera is doing fine. The other 6 are showing these bars in varying severity.

Any hints on what to look for?

thanks

richard

Fault finding 101.

You have 1 camera working fine. Swap out the other 6 cameras in place of the camera that is working. They should ALL work on that position. Those that dont are faulty.

Now that you have tested the cameras are good get one working and then swap it onto other channels at the DVR. Any that stop working indicate a faulty channel input on the DVR. You would hope there are not 6 faulty channels but......

Now that leaves only the cables. Pick an input that you have tested as good and pick a camera that you have tested as good. Test each cable using the known (good) channel and a known (good) camera. Any that dont work is faulty. When using baluns and CatXX cable you can only use ONE twisted pair for the video signal. You CANNOT split the pair and you CANNOT double up with another pair

@tomcctv: I used what was advertized as HD-TVI baluns (has screw-in terminals you slide the wire in)

Don't know if I am allowed to post links, but it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161919280280?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

or

http://tinyurl.com/hg24gr5

I used generic 1080p TVI domes, since I am doing a 15-camera setup for about 49 a piece. Happy with the image quality so far. The Cat6 is solid copper, thinking that in the future I won't have to run cables for IP camera upgrades. I ordered the ferrules from cable and ferrule gleaned from a post in this forum somewhere.

thanks

richard

are the baluns not marked up as to 1 x at dvr end and 1 x at camera end ??

the baluns i have used are marked like that, . Dont know if it matters , im sure a more tech guy on here would respond .

There is no difference between the Tx & Rx function of baluns. ALL they are is an impedance matching device

( 75^ - 100 ^ - 75^ ) , the better ones having some filtering incorporated.