Not very far for the cheapos that are advertised on the internet in the $100.00 range. They are very effective up close to find pinhole cameras. Great to check offices for pencil sharpener, computer speaker, clock, exit sign, PIR (burglar motion detector), key board ect.

Bedrooms: AM/FM clock radios, wall clocks, lamps, shelftop clocks, teddy bears, book binders, cell phones (non working), pagers (same), calculators (same) ect.

In commercial environments most cameras are exposed, for vandal or IR reasons, but not always the case.

I hide cameras in "rock speakers", dog houses, fake pump "dog houses" with pvc pointed in to the ground going no where, bird houses, bird feeders, diversion safes (cans of hollow hair spray, ajax, gunk).

If I can buy an oversized light fixture with lots of hollow spots, I will cut a hole and mount the camera inside of the housing. You can have artisans make copper outdoor lights in the shape of flowers but have one as a camera!

They are designed to pick up the curvature of the glass lens. Have you ever seen those clocks under a glass dome? If you shine a light at the curved top the light always shines right back at you. This is how the detectors work. These will not find cameras hidden behind trick mirrors, or behind fiber optic.

You can also carry a bug detector. They look for RF energy. They are looking for transmitters. You can use the bug detector to find wireless cameras that are hidden in monkeys, teddy bears, AM/FM clock radio ect!

Pros will use "off" freqs so that they are not easly spotted with tech's wireless monitor that can tune in 800 900 1.2 2.4 5.8 freqs and channels.

In residential houses the master bedroom is the most likely place to find cameras. You mostly find microphones more so than cameras.

If you are looking for hidden cameras, start at the alarm keypad, and remove it from the wall to see if the power has been tapped. Remove wall socket plates to see if electronic parts have been "stuffed" in behind a recepticle to power a camera. You can power a camera remotly through the t.v. cable as well.

I am aware of the options for concealing chip cameras.

I was thinking more in terms of identifying lets say video cameras at ranges up to 600m, in cases where the camera man would be concealed and hard to see.

I doubt it is possible, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. \

Camera man? Would this be someone holding a camcorder? Would this individual be out in the "open" on hidden?

I new you knew the options for hiding cameras, but I was throwing in the whole kitchen sink for others who may read this post. Hope you did not think I was talking "down" to you. I have read alot of your posts and they show a very sophisticated understanding of CCTV. So I was pretty much preaching to the choir wasn't I!!!!!

If I felt I was being watched, I would discreetly move in to the sun and check "down wind" from the sun. On a bright day I would hope to catch the reflection off the lens.

If in advance of this situation you would carry something that fits your personality, and your established life style. I would carry a backpack, or a gym bag.

In the pack/bag I would have a change of clothes such as baggy pants/shirt, and a baseball cap. In a busy area with lots of people I would then step out of sight (bathroom, back alley, or a shop or store) and I would change my clothes real quick and make my way to a different direction. while he/she is waiting for me to come back in to view I am already gone. I would then divert my way around back to where I think they may be hiding in a tree line or an SUV.

In advance is it possible to have someone with your body build, and shape and to have them where the same clothes, and you meet up at a spot where you change and he walks on as a decoy?

If you cannot carry a pack/bag wear a reversible jacket, and put a cap in your pocket, then hide, and flip the jacket and pop on the cap, and walk a different stride.

If you could shine something at 600M to find a lens then you will have given yourself away. They are at 600M to be discreet. Do you really want them to know that you blew their cover?

No, I didn't feel spoke down to. I also am well aware that there are many others on this forum whom know a lot more than I. Although after rereading I can see how it does imply that tone. I appologize for the choice of wording.

I have to be deliberately vague here due to OPSEC (this application is not for private or commercial use). In the application I am questioning, I am in the open, unmistakable, unable to move to hide myself. The camera (if there) is without a doubt sighted on me. I am looking for (among other things) a cameraman who will be hard to see, and possibly at a far distance (using the zoom on a camcorder). While binoculars would suit this purpose, and all tell idiot sign (such as a beam being reflected) would be absolutely perfect.

So someone is spying on the Quartermaster?

What are you storing? Welfare/moral send Xbox 360's?

I say look dead in the camera's lens, raise your arm and give them the one digit salute!

How far does a laser pointer shoot? I would imagine you can make your own lens finder using these. If any thing they will stop looking through the lens after they have been blinded in the eye, or it will disrupt the video.

I wonder what they do in Iraq? I would assume if a convoy was on a route known to have IEDs then I would imagine they would use FLIR at night to "clear" the area during the night time, and then use the Predator Drone to keep an eye on the area during daylight hours.

I imagine they would use an RF jammer to stop them from using cell phones to remote activate an IED.

It would be difficult to catch a lens in this environment. They would only hold up the camera the moment before detonation. There would be no way to see the lens in advance. More than likly they are going to be in the sun from the convoy's view.

This may not be what UMDRANGER is looking for, but I thought it might be of interest to some since we are on the subject.

It would be interesting if anybody went through one of these anti IED military courses recently that could talk about some of the ways of prevention. I would be interested in what they are doing in Iraq to combat these attacks.

It would be a clear diservice and threat to our combat men and women to provide any info on defeating IEDs there is already too much information on the web that often adds insights to killing our troops.