Isaac

What about the wire?

Hi all, i need to install CCTV system with and NVT converter

I would like to know what kind of cable i should use for the installation.

can i use a utp cat 5. or i need anything else. one of my coworkers told me that there is a cable with 2 pairs of utp and a 2x16 awg pair

But i cannot find it in mexico, do you where can i find information about how to wire my cctv system.

Thanks in advance.

Are you only transmitting video or do you also need power? Depending on what NVT converter you are using, some are just single camera - single twisted pair, others are some combination of multiple camersa, audio, power, etc. I like the ones that take a CAT5 cable directly into the converter which usually works fine unless your camera has a heated enclosure and needs more power.

With regards to specialty cables, GOOGLE on terms including SIAMESE CABLE UTP and and you will get a bunch of hits, hopefully one that ships to Mexico.

Andy

Stick with CAT5e (FT6 if required for fire regs in "Free air" no conduit applications) The only issue you may have is power distance, so you may want to power tha cameras locally. Ive used a ton of NVT gear and if memory serves, the minimum specs required are CAT3e. But again, your biggest concern may be distance for power, in which case you may be able to double up your pairs to carry the power.

Cat5 works well. I usually try not to send power on the same cat5 though. I like to pull a 18/2 (depending on distance from powersupply) with my cat 5. Sometimes I will pull a 16/2 and put multiple cams on one cat5 and branch my power off the 16/2.