fas

Dome Cameras in Drop Ceilings

This is probably a silly question for most of you pros, but I have never installed a dome camera in a ceiling tile. What do you use to fasten it to the tile? Thanks.

I know it's probably not right but I use a little piece of "craft board" from the hardware store and drywall screws. It's something like 1/2"x6"xwhatever, just cut into into squares and make it sandwich the ceiling tile. You could still rip it off if you really wanted to but there is only so much you can do.

Depends a lot on the size of the dome.

if its heavy i take the next tile out and fit some timber bearers across the grid to carry the weight better.

I thought there might be a standard install method everyone uses. I just don't want the dome cams to fall down. Is there some type of metal strip any of you use to screw into to tighten it to the tile?

use 1/4 inch plywood cut to the same width of the ceiling tile. depending on the weight, cut the length. pull tile down, match-up plywood with tile, drill a 3/4" hole for the wires. attach dome base...pull wires thru, screw thru tile into wood. connect/replace tile. if you need to view adjustment live just open tile next to it and connect it....unless dome has a internal connection like mine. if dome is extremely heavy, use eye screw and wire to support from above.

How about using self tapping fixings to hold it onto the Ceiling metal Grid between the tiles,we always try and mount the cameras on a piece of the grid that has a steel wire support and on the joint theses 4 points to mount

Or as everyone has suggested using a piece of plywood same size as tile so it sits in the metal grid for support

If its an indoor dome, which it should be since you are mounting it inside, then just use Toggle Bolts:

This is the toggle spring wing which the bolt goes into, and this that grasps onto the drop tile inside the ceiling.

37382_1.gif

If its something really heavy then you could use a piece of wood, or even carboard, to hold it better, but the drop tile is only so strong anyway, so I wouldnt worry to much about that. Mount it on the wall (concrete or wood) if you really want it to be secure.

ive found that if its a drop ceiling its best to take a same size 1/4" sheet of plywood and use construction adhesive [caulking gun type] between the plywood and the acoustic tile ,they have quick grab adheisive that sets in minutes or you can set it on the floor with weight on it till it sets and if needed you can use that adhesive to glue the tile panel to the grid. use standard bolts with washers for the dome and your good to go. only a ptz would need additional support for the weight. the glued up panel is very strong.

toggle bolts for the light ones. And toggle bolts and guy wire suspended works good for the medium ones. for the heavy ones get a suspended metal frame mount from manufacturer. They dont put any weight on the tiles.

37709_1.jpg

I know it's probably not right but I use a little piece of "craft board" from the hardware store and drywall screws. It's something like 1/2"x6"xwhatever, just cut into into squares and make it sandwich the ceiling tile. You could still rip it off if you really wanted to but there is only so much you can do.

I do the exact same thing but then they are have always been smaller, rather light models of dome cameras. I imagine if it were ever to be a heavier and expensive PTZ type, I would take the advise of some of the secure methods mentioned by others here.

For most basic domes, and stand-off/j-mount brackets for that matter, I find a 1-1/2" screw and a standard mid-sized drywall anchor turned on its side so the screw chews through it, works fine on ceiling tile. Repeat as necessary (3 or 4 times). Some scraps of plywood or similar are certainly preferable for heavier cameras, but the nylon anchors are plenty for most, and they're easy to keep a good stock of (many domes and mounts ship with them, in fact).

HI Most indoor inceiling domes have clips on the sides of them. when you insert the dome there will be two screws on each side of the dome, just tighten thoes screws and the clips will come down a fasten to the ceiling tile.

HI Most indoor inceiling domes have clips on the sides of them. when you insert the dome there will be two screws on each side of the dome, just tighten thoes screws and the clips will come down a fasten to the ceiling tile.

Yeah, those are great... the ones I've worked with include a makeshift "compass" to draw a perfect circle to cutout for the size of the dome. VEry nice.

I dunno about everyone else, but I was referring more to standard armored domes surface-mounted on the tiles.

if you can get a stronger type tile, put a 1/4 piece of ply wood and screw the domes into that. some domes are heaver than others, if it is just a plastic dome you should not have a problem, but if it is a armord dome it is going to be hard because they are heaver than the ceiling tile. if the camera is close to a wall mabey try putting it on the wall.