sal

ISC West Show 2008

Maybe I'll see you there sal!

Who else is going?

I am trying to work out being there as an Attendee, but it's still up in the air. I have a Vegas install coming up around the end of this month and I'm trying to ink it for March 31/April 1. I think if I don't get a confirmed install date by this Friday I will just tell them my schedule dictates I do it on March 31.

with iscwest just about a week away i need to start looking at the list of mfg out there and plan my attack - some of the ones just off the top of my head that ill be checking out:

pelco - just the cams not the crappy dvrs/ip solutions

toshiba

panasonic

arecont

ioimage

bosch/extreme

3vr

whats everyone else checking out??

Wish I was, but the boss and sales team are going to check it out, oh well maybe next year. Hope you all enjoy.

It's looking better for me making the show. I think things are falling in place.

I hear the show is a lot bigger then 2005 when I went last. I think Panasonic had the best display last time. Something tells me the show is going to be heavily weighted towards IP... Good thing I'm bringing my computer guy!

I'll be there with two of my techs. We will be looking at IP and megapixel cameras, updates to our DVR system, open architecture NVR systems, tools, etc.

Hey bud, stop by Bosch booth... They have very impressive solutions in place that I am sure can get your attention. They are covering very broad range of products and applications that fits all levels of small and large organizations.. We just concluded a project with all Bosch product line with IP solution, perimeter security and access control and the entire project was using everything Bosch.. The outcome was better than we expected..

Another one to check can be Trident solution that now became one of the offerings from Tyco Security.. Very slick box operating on top of Linux and interesting how it performs simple tasks...

I will be there for Wednesday only flying in early and coming back the same night.. Have to meet few people and that is all..

Have fun..

Interestingly, I contacted Bosch corporate sales with the same RFI I sent to you to ask for a demo of their system. They responded that they would refer my request to their local SoCal representative. That is the last I heard from them.

A similar thing happened when we were looking at systems in 2002/2003, prior to purchasing our Honeywell system. A Bosch (then Philips) integrator brought us a demo of their Hi-Q system and we liked it enough to include it in our RFP's. We contacted their integrator and requested a bid and that was the last we heard from them. I suspect that was because we balked at replacing our Pelco 9760 matrix switch with a Philips Allegiant as they recommended.

It appears to me that Bosch doesn't care if they sell to us so we have developed a similar attitude toward them.

As for Tyco, I'm not certain I even want to deal with them based on my experiences with American Dynamics, which is also owned by Tyco. You know how I feel about AD Tech Support. Good tech support is even more critical with DVR's/NVR's than with matrix switches and AD is severely lacking in that area. It makes my wonder if Tyco/Trident will be the same...

We'll see how things play out at ISC!

I wish I knew who you dealt with at Bosch and even at AD... Like always, two companies never do business together, only two people conduct business from their respective companies. You also know my take on Pelco, so I understand your frustration and pressure.

Give Bosch a second look... and let me know what you think. We are local to you and not only can get you the demo and the support, but also answer any and all questions pertinent to any of their lines from CCTV, to Perimeter Security product or even Access Control.. This is no way mean that I am fully endorsing Bosch across the board, but comparatively speaking, they have done much better job than most majors out there...

As for AD, well the only thing that is different is the introduction of Trident and the rest is basically the same. Few changes in their Intellex Ultra product line, few more different IP cameras mostly from Sony, and their latest offering on Matrix switch replacement, which they call it "Virtual Matrix" that is being controlled by a single computer... but that is all..

I wish I knew who you dealt with at Bosch and even at AD...

At AD, who knows? That was 6 or 7 years ago and it was a Tech Support a..hole in New York.

At Bosch - I can tell you that when I get back to work on the 7th. I just remember it was someone at corporate sales. I sent an email to them via the email address on their website and weeks later they responded thanking me for my interest and said that they were referring me to their regional something or other.

Perhaps I scared them off with my request in the RFI that our existing equipment be utilized as much as possible.

Speaking of that, I find it interesting that so many DVR/NVR manufacturers insist we buy their servers even though what we have is far superior. Many of them are trying to sell us what appear to be cheap server clones running with lower grade storage media. Many still use SCSI (yechhh) and are running RAID5.

What's really funny is that right now we have what are basically three german systems in our Surveillance room:

* Our Honeywell Enterprise - by FAST division of NICE - Israeli/Swiss but built in Germany.

* A Dallmeier demo.

* A Geutebrück demo sitting on top of the Dallmeier demo's cabinet (the Dallmeier Tech was not amused when he saw it ).

That a...hole in New York most likely is who I think it is... and you could have bypassed him very easily.. but, you are the customer and they should have known better by having this person to be your point contact. Not much I am sure can be done, but if you are still in the mood to talk to someone at their upper management, please let me know. I can open some doors for you...

As for Bosch, I know not only their regional manager, but also their local rep, who actually is extremely good on his knowledge and the support. He helped us to put together some very complex systems and from my experience, if he was involved, chances are good that he would not have back peddled...

Business never happens between two companies, rather happens between two people that can at least trust each others opinions and find common language that clarifies many aspects of what you, the customer, needs in respect to what they, the vendors, can provide. Sometimes the customers being very intelligent and extremely knowledgeable on a topic can and does intimidate vendors - vendors do not want to look like a jackass on front of you or any customer...

I know how you feel about both companies and it is because they lost the great opportunity that you could have presented for them. That is why others had a chance and I am happy to hear that they delivered on their promise... However, no one manufacturer can deliver a complete solution regardless who they are. In your setup, you picked best of the best and was able to integrate them all properly, thus you created your own system.

What I ask is never say never about any manufacturer and trust me, I have made my own mistakes in the last 29 years and I mainly rely on my experience more than an information. I can tell you that in the recent six month or so, Bosch proven to be much more aggressive and reliable than most and was able to accommodate few very critical projects for us. That of course did not happen between our companies, rather between us and one of their local reps, who has done a great job thus far.

What I ask is never say never about any manufacturer and trust me, I have made my own mistakes in the last 29 years and I mainly rely on my experience more than an information. I can tell you that in the recent six month or so, Bosch proven to be much more aggressive and reliable than most and was able to accommodate few very critical projects for us. That of course did not happen between our companies, rather between us and one of their local reps, who has done a great job thus far.

Does that apply to Pelco ?

Well, the thing about Bosch is that the ball was in their court and they seem to have lost it. I'm not going to beg them. If they want us to even consider them they will have to respond to my RFI just like any other company.

And they weren't the only one who didn't respond - Petards is also missing a possible opportunity although I may give them a second chance. In their case, I'm not certain anyone actually received my email since their website doesn't have an email contact address. I just cold sent one to sales@petards.com. I plan to visit their booth at ISC.