mateck8888

Avermedia Codec Question, Hardware vs. Software Key

Hello All:

I have two questions I hoping I can get help on.

1. When I put IP cameras on my NV6480e system, the software saves it as a .DVR file. What exactly is the codec for that, considering that some cameras are sending H.264, and others .. say mjpeg or something? Is the .dvr just some kind of a wrapper? I have need to do some time-lapse of a construction site, so I'm wondering what I'll be recording in, so that I can determine how to get it into a video editor for post.

2. If I need a 16 camera IP system, what is the practical difference between ordering a 6480e hardware board, or a 16-ch licensing key? Does the hardware board just act as a licensing key and not do any work when you are putting only IP cameras on it?

Thanks!

Matt

The DVR. file is just more of a wrapping file that it compressed for storage, the dvr has the capabilities to save in a MPEG4 or a H.264 file but if your looking for quality and good compression use the DVR file type. you can always convert the video file to a Mpeg4 or AVI file etc. when pulling footage.

Also the NV640E all your paying for is the license you have to buy the card even if your planning on a whole IP base system. Avermedia has no other way to check their license keys other than requiring the card to be used.

Also the NV640E all your paying for is the license you have to buy the card even if your planning on a whole IP base system. Avermedia has no other way to check their license keys other than requiring the card to be used.

or just use the avermedia NVR software. no card needed for full ip.

The DVR. file is just more of a wrapping file that it compressed for storage, the dvr has the capabilities to save in a MPEG4 or a H.264 file but if your looking for quality and good compression use the DVR file type ... .

Where in the software do I have this choice? I have options for MPEG4 ADVANCED & H.264 with analog cameras, and with IP cameras I can save as its native codec, or "re-encode", but no matter which I choose on these choices, it always comes out of the oven with a .dvr file. But your indicating the .dvr file is a "choice" I can make, like I can choose between mpeg4 or .dvr?

At the end of the day, I would not mind a .dvr file, but I have an application where I want to do time-lapse, and I can't seem to do anything useful with the .DVR file when it comes to a video editor. I need to get it into a video editor in order to speed it up. If you can clairfy, or have any suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks. Matt

Have you tried contacting Avermedia directly? They always seem to quickly answer questions I have had in the past. At least the US based team.

dvr file. But your indicating the .dvr file is a "choice

hi you will find the options in backup screen. just before you burn disk . top right you will see burn options. to disk.

When I choose Export-Backup I get the screen that allows me to do backups, and O choose "auto partition CD", and I can do that backup of selected files, but no where do I get a choice to choose .dvr files or native files. Am I in the right section of the software?

You might be thinking of the EXPORT option (not back up) where you have a choice between .avi or .mpg, but there still is not choice between "native" or ".dvr" wrapper.