sluthra

Avermedia NV8416 System

Is it good enough?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Is it good enough?

• Yes
    • No

I was planning to get a DVR that can record at 30 FPS at D1 Resolution for a week or two. Will probably use motion recording.

*Avermedia NV8416PCI-E Hybrid Wb 16CH

*Cooler Master CM 690 Advanced II

*Liteon 24X DVDrw Sata Retail

*Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz

*Intel Core i7-2600 Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155

*Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit

*Gigabyte Z68X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

*Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.2 Modular Power Supply

*Crucial M4 64GB (OS + DVR Software)

*3 X Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB (Recording Drives, low power)

*Samsung F3 1TB (Backup/Temp Drive for burning to discs etc)

*Viewsonic 1080P 24" LED

*NVIDIA GT 220

Total: ~$2500

Why not put windows and Averdigi on an SSD? Boot time will be faster especially with Win 7.

Why not use 3TB drives for video data?

Also - I prefer ASUS mother boards due to generous warranty return policy and experience.

Also - I prefer the Cooler master HAF series full towers like the HAF9000, because face it - you eventually will want to put as many harddrives as possible in the system and the HAF series has hughe fans to keep them cool.

I did put Averdigi on the SSD along with the OS "(OS and Software)"

Doesn't seem like there are any reliable 3TB drives atm. Never liked Hitachi Deathstars. I'll stick with 2TB drives atm and grab 3 samsung F6 4TB when they come out.

Gigabyte and Asus are both good to me.

There's no room for a full tower at the site. A mid tower will suffice and when those 4TB drives come out, I'm sure 12 Terabytes will be more than enough.

EDIT: Just as a info to future users. The i7-2600 is barely stressed when recording 16 cameras at D1 Resolution (30 FPS). Also, 4GB of RAM will suffice. Idles around 2.3 GB. Other 4GB doesn't get used. (It is 64 bit, just doesn't need it). Also, grab a mobo with 3 PCI-E X16 slots in case you want to expand to 32 cameras (X4 is mainly on server boards.) Or grab a X1 graphics card and use the 2 X16 slots for the NV8416s.

I note about the Deathstars, their infamy was earned when IBM owned their production, later sold out to Hitachi after they ruined their reputation. Also, Maximum PC has the 7K Ultra in their best of best list. This drive has enterprise class performance specs.

My theory is that drive life is a direct function of operating temperature, can anyone back that up?

Also, which SSD did you decide to use?

I am about embark on a new build similiar to yours. Keep me posted.

KVS

My main HDD brands are Western Digital and Samsung atm. I have 6 Samsung drives in my desktop that are about 3 years old. Been running great no problems. Great performance too. Not sure about the temperature thing though.

I went with the Crucial M4. My other choice was the Vertex 3, they're both really close in real world tests. Vertex 3 is a bit pricier. Write rates wouldn't make a difference since it's just for the OS and AverDigi. Definitely is nice. Up and running in less than 20-30 seconds.

Good luck with your build. The 2600 can easily run 32 cameras/ NV8416 stacked config. Maybe 40% on 3/8 threads with 16 Cameras at D1. Lots of legroom. Good cooling is a good idea, also some dust filters as well. The case i chose CM 690 was excellent. SSD mounting bracket, dust filters. 2 140 MM fans top and front as well as a rear 120 mm exhaust. Dead silent. HDD Rails make it easy to install. Up to 10 fans. But if you can fit a full tower, go for it.

The mobile viewers work great as well. I actually using all of them with the exception of windows mobile. iBBviewer for Blackberry, Averdigi iPhone, and Averdigi Android. As well as webviewer. Excellent software. My next goal is to integrate the POS system with the DVR.

Just a little update here. Avoid using the 64 bit version as it's not ready yet. BSODs, random restarts constantly. Switched to 32 bit and all problems went away. ONly uses around 2GB with 16 Channels Recording @ D1 (15 FPS)

I was planning to get a DVR that can record at 30 FPS at D1 Resolution for a week or two. Will probably use motion recording.

*Avermedia NV8416PCI-E Hybrid Wb 16CH

*Cooler Master CM 690 Advanced II

*Liteon 24X DVDrw Sata Retail

*Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz

*Intel Core i7-2600 Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155

*Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit

*Gigabyte Z68X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

*Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.2 Modular Power Supply

*Crucial M4 64GB (OS + DVR Software)

*3 X Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB (Recording Drives, low power)

*Samsung F3 1TB (Backup/Temp Drive for burning to discs etc)

*Viewsonic 1080P 24" LED

*NVIDIA GT 220

Total: ~$2500

Hey Sluthra,

Just read your post. I built a system similar to yours last year. I built it to run PhotoShop CS5 to do some serious photo editing but, recently

started using it to run my Aver NV6480. I went with the Asus P6T7 superComputer MB.

A Thermaltake full height liquid cooled tower (7 fans)

Core i7 cpu

12 gb ddr3 ram

Nvidia 9500 (1gb)

Memorex DVD

2-1tb and 1 1.5tb HD (for now, this thing will hold 12 drives and supports raid)

Dual monitors 1-37" 1-47"

Ready for some up grades but, funds are limited right now so....

I'm only running 12 cams right now but, like you said, ram and prosessor usage is minamal.

So far I really like the Aver card although, I'd like to see some improvements in software.

One biggie for me is not being able to drag my windows around the screen like I can with other software but, that's minor.

I really don't like the playback system they have, I really liked the previous system I had much better. It was a lot simpler.

Guess I'll have to give Aver a little pep talk.

Cheers,

John

One biggie for me is not being able to drag my windows around the screen like I can with other software but, that's minor.

hi john. all avers are drag and drop if you have multiple screens you can even drage from 1 monitor to another.

in standard screen click on image you want to move and while holding down the mouse button move the mouse to were you want the image then let go of mouse button.

hi john. all avers are drag and drop if you have multiple screens you can even drage from 1 monitor to another.

in standard screen click on image you want to move and while holding down the mouse button move the mouse to were you want the image then let go of mouse button.

Hi ya Tom,

No can do. Try as I might it doesn't work. I was planning on contacting you after I had a little more time playing with this set up

hoping I wouldn't have to. But, since you're here...

Besides, that. when I tried using "Remote iMatrix" it opens to a blank gray screen and the only way out is to use task manager to close it out.

When I do that, the task bar at the bottom of my desktop disappears and so far the only way to get it back is to reboot.

another problem is, how to access the menu (OSD) for several of my cameras via the RS485. I can use the PTZ but, can't access the menu to change settings.

If you have any insite into any of these things, I sure would love to hear them.

Thanks,

John

PS. Sorry, Sluthra. I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I haven't yet tried to set up the network because I know its going to be a pain and I'm dreading it. I'm sure you'll hear from me then.

Hi john. sorry i have to ask but is your mouse fully working ......... i know it sounds daft but most people only use the left button on there mouse.

just right click on your desktop screen and see if you get >>> view / sort / refresh / new.

but all avers have had drag and drop with right mouse button in all PC and standalone units for years.

"Remote iMatrix"

what happends when you use imatrix direct on your screen at dvr ...... click on yellow buttom in top right of each image. ???

heTom,

yes my right button brings up the pop up menu and I have no problem moving any of the other windows from other programs just Aver.

Its weird, Must be something going on.

what happens when you use imatrix direct on your screen at dvr ...... click on yellow buttom in top right of each image. ???

Are you referring to the graphic that looks like a little blue monitor with a yellow screen?

when I click on that I get the message "You are not allowed to use live Playback function under Windows Vista Areo Mode,

please exit Aero Mode before you use this function." I have no idea what they're talking about.

Are you referring to the graphic that looks like a little blue monitor with a yellow screen?

hi john yes they are you matrix start button.

Windows Vista Areo Mode

john are you using motherboard vga or are you using a card.

but with not having right button mouse control something is not right. you might be better to update your software.

Windows Vista Areo Mode

but with not having right button mouse control something is not right. you might be better to update your software.

That's just it, Tom. I have updated everything. I'm using an Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT with 1gb mem and the latest drivers.

Do you (or anybody here) have any idea what this "Aero Mode" error message is that I get?

Thanks,

John

Hi john. you should not see the Aero Mode if you are using a vga card.

but thinking about it. you might have second monitor ticked in your settings.

if you go to setup then systems and to the right you will see a tick box for add monitor .... is it un ticked ??

if you go to setup then systems and to the right you will see a tick box for add monitor .... is it un ticked ??

Strange, very strange. I tried it both ways... no difference.

I put in a call to Aver tech support, hoping to hear back soon...

hi. john. would you mind if i took alook around your settings ???

hi. john. would you mind if i took alook around your settings ???

Of course not, you're more than welcome too.

I think, all the info you need is my router IP and login right?

I'll send you a PM in a second.

Windows Vista Areo Mode

That's just it, Tom. I have updated everything. I'm using an Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT with 1gb mem and the latest drivers.

Do you (or anybody here) have any idea what this "Aero Mode" error message is that I get?

Thanks,

John

Hi!, I think the "Aero Mode" is the Windows 7 default theme, I never had this error only the UAC switch, but if you want to test, try to use the "Windows 7 Basic" Theme or more XP the "Windows Classics", of course you´ll see the improvement of the OS speed.

Regards

George

Sorry myplace46

I didn't see your replies. Been off the forum for over a year.

Update (1+ Year Later): My system still runs great. 32 Bit was a good move. Never uses over 2GB anyways. It retrospect, I would've downgraded to an i5-2500 as the i7-2600 isn't really stressed at all. But Aver's brilliant software design used to block non i7 from doing 16CH at full D1 even though the 2500 is fully capable.

With the earlier versions, you had to force disable aero using command line and the registry for the NV Software to even turn on. It was completely ridiculous as they didn't specify at all how to do it in the manual.

There was also a patch needed for Sandy Bridge. Or all you would see are green screens. Obviously a year later, they ironed out a lot of these problems.

I'm using a NV6240-16 on an i3-540 mini-ITX box running Win7 Embedded 32 bit, and it's working great on 16 channels. I'm using whatever the latest Aver software is at this date, and it's recording about 25 MP on 14 to 16 channels, depending on what I'm testing.

I did have a blank screen problem until I updated my video drivers, and that went away as well.

Whatever problems they had seem to be pretty well in control right now. Mine's robust and stable.

Probably good for overall performance anyway.

It's a shame that they discontinued their lower line of hybrid DVR cards. NV5000 and NV3000. I guess people are all for the boxed systems nowadays.

Thanks,

John

Pretty sure you just change your windows theme to Basic and it gets rid of the error.

Tom, I am just also trying to move the programs window from one screen to the other. Do you mean that I can move the entire Aver Program from monitor one to monitor two by right clicking anywhere in the window and draging it to monitor 2? Or, are you saying that if you are using something like Imatrix you can right click on a video feed and drag it to another monitor that Imatrix is running on? Aver is new to me so I am trying to figure out all of its tricks as well. I only ask because like myplace46, I can also not figure out how to move the entire applications window from one monitor to the next. The right click drag isn't working for me either