Sign in to follow this  
Dodge

NV5000 TV

i have a nv5000 card what i want to do is add a computer monitor to watch the cameras and use the computer screen for he pc only.

Is it possible if so how do i connect it up.

i have a nv5000 card what i want to do is add a computer monitor to watch the cameras and use the computer screen for he pc only.

Is it possible if so how do i connect it up.

I am not familiar with this card in particular but a few years ago when I used DVR cards in home brew systems I had multi monitors and used the old WinXP box as a PC and DVR system and never had a problem although I was advised not to. I had an ATI card that supported dual monitors and even tried a dual monitor PCI card. The DVR card always started up in the main monitor so I kept that running 24/7 and used the PC on a secondary to maintain the system without shutting down. I tinkered a lot and used the system for email and most everything else. I am not a gamer so I can't say anything I did was intensive. I still have two old systems stashed away that I never use and have gone the route of the DVR box.

I say it can't hurt to give it a try. But I never had a problem with taking things apart and reconfiguring every system I ever had.

Good luck and I 'm sure others will chime in with their expertise.

Al.

The NV5000 card has an composite video out RCA connector - it's the yellow jack at the top of the card bracket. I've never used it, but it's presumably a standard TV out like the old days.

To use this, you have a couple of options:

- A TV that takes an RCA analog input

- A PC monitor that takes an RCA analog input (not common now, but I used to run these)

- A device that converts an RCA analog output to VGA/HDMI/whatever is compatible with your monitor. These are readily available on ebay and other places, and you want to make sure you get one that converts RCA composite to VGA, not VGA to composite (some work in both directions).

Here's a cheap example of the latter (I have no idea if it's any good or not):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TV-RCA-Composite-S-video-AV-In-to-PC-VGA-LCD-Out-Converter-Adapter-Box-Black-/190801866243?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2c6cad6e03

and a more expensive one from Monoprice, whom I'd trust more:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=4722&seq=1&format=2

Another thought - dual monitors on your PC, assuming your video card supports this. If this worked, you'd just drag the NV window to the second monitor and use the first monitor for your PC work. This would give better resolution than using the TV Out signal.

I believe the current NV software supports dual monitors, but I've never run them on my NV boxes. Maybe some of the more experienced Aver users could comment.