Sign in to follow this  
robertras

Need a camera to monitor a 30/15 meter parking lot

Hey Guys

As the Title suggests, i am in need of a security camera that can monitor a 30/15 meter parking lot. My girlfriend recently got a restraining order agaist a stalker, and now her car keeps getting vandalized (sometimes at night) and we need to know who is doing it so that we can get it to stop/catch the person that is doing it. She lives on a second story unit overlooking the parking lot. As i see it the camera needs to

• be able to work at night (IR?)
    have a high enough resolution to identify the person
    be tamper proof/transmit the data to a remote location
    be reliable/all weather

If you guys could offer any suggestions, we are hopping to spend about $200, i can do any wiring that needs to be done (and i have a ton of wire) and i have a computer that i can set up as a server as well, so those costs dont need to be included.

Thanks in advance for your help

A parking lot 30mx15m cannot be covered effectively by one camera.

If she can park close to the camera in the same parking spot every day and night, your chances of identifying the suspect will be better and cost much less.

Otherwise, you will need to increase your budget...

She can park in the same spot every day, and that spot can be close to the mounting point of the camera if necessary. Also we can increase the budget if its really needed, thanks for the input.

What is the night-time lighting like in the parking lot?

Does this parking lot have sodium lamps or other types of illumination?

If overall lighting is good in your target area, than your IR requirements will be greatly reduced..

I would generally consider the nighttime lighting to be poor, there is a streetlight on the street at the far end of the parking lot from where she parks, and there is a porch light that offers verry little illumination to the actual parking lot.

Also if a particular camera model just needs more IR illumination im pretty sure that i have a good amount of IR LEDs sitting around the lab that i could rig up as a permanent IR spotlight.