barnesy1977

Could anyone guide me on Hikvision (or similar) products ?

Hello all,

I'm hoping to get some advice on here about what system is best buy, and maybe even where from.

I'm looking at buying 7 cameras and a DVR for home CCTV. I previously bought Swann PRO-530, PRO-746 and DVR8-1200 but it's just not upto what we need, so I'm moving that one to my warehouse.

The breakdown we need, is:

2x Dome cameras to show a good picture upto 20m

5x Bullet cameras to show a good picture upto 15m

1x DVR for the above

We want to be able to view the cameras via the internet on phone and laptop.

I don't think we have any real need to zoom in on any of the cameras, although for the 2x domes we would like to be able to say read a car registration or be able to identify a person at say 15-20m away (from playback).

Hikvision seem to be rated quite well and a friend of mine has a system at his work and it looks good. I see there are a number of sellers on ebay and aliexpress etc who sell these system very cheap. My concern is whether they are genuine. I don't mind spending a little more on a UK based seller but with needing 7 cameras the overall saving buying from China is quite a lot.

Having researched it I'm wondering if the following would be what I need:

2x Domes 20m = hikvision DS-2CD2732F-I

5x Bullet 15m = hikvision DS-2CD2032-I

1x DVR - I've no idea - it's a minefield :-/

Any advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated....if this is a good setup, what DVR I'd need, and where to buy them from.

Thanks alot in advance

David

I also have looked into Hikvision cameras and NVR'S. I think you are on the right track for your cameras. However I not sure why you want a DVR when a NVR (newer technology) would be a better option eg more versatile and much clearer picture. You say you want 7 cameras then I would buy a Hikvision 8 channel and 8 port NVR. You will have one port spare for future use. Beware there are 8 channel 4 port Hikvsion NVR's. (Not sure why?) The model you want is DS-7608NI-E2/8P. You could go for another brand of NVR, but it's not advisable to mix brands between cameras and NVR'S. Of course you can view your cameras over smart phone, laptop etc, as long as the NVR is plugged into the internet. BTW. Many NVR'S sold new, come with no hard drive, so you may have to factor that into the cost.

Thanks Russmuss - I had no idea about NVRs being the latest tech, so I'll focus on the one you suggested. Re the hard-drive, should these also be the same brand as the rest of the kit, or are they a very separate thing where can I use any so long as it has the correct connection ?

cheers

David

Hi the links to cameras you have posted ......... You say buying for price

Your links are way over what you can buy for in the UK

Over 200 ($300) a camera from China that you will have problems with

Thanks for the reply tomcctv, but I wonder if you have my post mixed with another as I hadn't put any links or prices on for the cameras I was looking at ? Do you know the best website/link to purchase these from them - either UK or China ?

thanks

David

Thanks Russmuss - I had no idea about NVRs being the latest tech, so I'll focus on the one you suggested. Re the hard-drive, should these also be the same brand as the rest of the kit, or are they a very separate thing where can I use any so long as it has the correct connection ?

cheers

David

David

As far as I am aware it doesn't really matter what brand of hard drive you use. But please be aware that it's not the same sort of hard drive that you would use in a standard desk top computer. Your local computer store will advise(if they are worth their salt), sell and even install it for you. Usually you have an optional space of up to 4TB. Maybe start with 1TB or 2TB, and you can always add more later. My guess you are in England, and perhaps over there, they have Hikvision NVR ready to go with hard drive installed. If you buy from China (which I do) then you need to add in the hard drive.