mirak

Need Recs on Wireless Security Cam System on a Budget

I'd appreciate some advice and recommendations for a budget wireless security camera system of acceptable quality.

I don't need super resolution or anything very fancy. I just want to set up a few wireless cameras outside my house to hopefully deter break-ins, porch theft, and vandalism, and also keep an eye on yard maintenance crew, and I'd like to do it on a pretty tight budget.

Here are my needs:

1. Wireless Cams. As it turns out, I have perfect exterior locations for the cameras under the eaves of my house which have easy access to power. But I do not want to run video cables, so they need to be wireless. At the same time, I've heard that 2.4ghz wireless security networks often interfere with home wifi routers, so I'd like a security system that runs on a different frequency if possible, or otherwise doesn't have significant interference issues.

2. Decent resolution. Hopefully at least 520TVL.

3. Acceptable Range. Cameras will be located outside a brick & wood siding house, no more than 50-60 feet each from a centrally located receiver.

4. Wireless receiver and DVR. I don't need a whole lot of storage or channels. I'm only wanting 2 to 3 cameras. I'm looking to save maybe 48-72 hours at most before writing over. Anything more is just a bonus. I want a simple solution that makes it easy to transfer segments of video to a card so I could easily show it to police if necessary.

5. Remote connectivity. Don't really need it, but I guess it would be a nice plus if it works.

6. Budget. I want to stay under $400 for 3 cams plus the DVR/receiver.

What would you recommend?

Wow, no advice. Anyway, I thought I'd give an update. After doing a lot more research, I came to the conclusion that wireless cams on that budget were probably going to cause a lot more trouble than they were worth.

So, I decided to purchase a very inexpensive wired solution that will give me better cameras with better resolution for less money - I just have to run the wires. But that's Ok, I've found a couple of locations I can wire pretty easily.

Went with a Zosi (China) system. 4 800TVL 1/3" CMOS cams with a 500gb full D1 4-channel DVR, plus 4 60-foot runs of BNC+DC cable for each cam. So everything I need to get set up, and if the quality stinks, I'm only out $180. But the amazon reviews seem quite promising.

Here's the link for the cams: http://www.amazon.com/ZOSI-Security-Surveillance-Weatherproof-Resolution/dp/B00J21DFGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429582680&sr=8-1&keywords=zosi+security+camera

And here's the link for the complete kit I bought: http://www.amazon.com/ZOSI-4Channel-Outdoor-Cameras-Security/dp/B00LHK2NJ8/ref=pd_cp_p_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1C6NM16ECRSVAXG4P1M3

Wow, no advice. Anyway, I thought I'd give an update. After doing a lot more research, I came to the conclusion that wireless cams on that budget were probably going to cause a lot more trouble than they were worth.

So, I decided to purchase a very inexpensive wired solution that will give me better cameras with better resolution for less money - I just have to run the wires. But that's Ok, I've found a couple of locations I can wire pretty easily.

Went with a Zosi (China) system. 4 800TVL 1/3" CMOS cams with a 500gb full D1 4-channel DVR, plus 4 60-foot runs of BNC+DC cable for each cam. So everything I need to get set up, and if the quality stinks, I'm only out $180. But the amazon reviews seem quite promising.

Here's the link for the cams: http://www.amazon.com/ZOSI-Security-Surveillance-Weatherproof-Resolution/dp/B00J21DFGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429582680&sr=8-1&keywords=zosi+security+camera

And here's the link for the complete kit I bought: http://www.amazon.com/ZOSI-4Channel-Outdoor-Cameras-Security/dp/B00LHK2NJ8/ref=pd_cp_p_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1C6NM16ECRSVAXG4P1M3

The image quality will be poor.....at your 400 budget you could have dont 3 ip cameras with SD card recording or 3 cams with a basic NVR...with HD resolution...

Or even dahua HD CVI, HD over analog...

The problem with cheap dvrs is not only the quality of the recording but glitches in the firmware, motion detection, and whether it will even record properly..

I've been running the system for about a week, and here is my take:

I had pretty low expectations going in based on the price - 4 cams and DVR for only $180. This system has exceeded my expectations.

Daytime video quality is not great, but not too bad, either. Details like faces get pretty blurry after 20 feet or so, but it works great for watching the front porch and also for surveying the yard if you don't need the detail. Color is pretty darned good! As the sun is nearing the horizon and shining more directly into one of the cams, that cam's image goes to hell, but not much to be done about that except slightly re-angle the camera.

Nighttime quality varies dramatically based on distance and ambient light. I get a really nice image of the front porch because it's close up and I've got some ambient light from the landscape lights. The cams looking over the front and back yards are pretty much worthless - you could make out a person walking out there but no discernable detail. Not a big deal to me.

Camera build quality is quite good. Easy to install. I wish these cams came in white, but I suppose the more conspicuous black cams against the white trim can't hurt.

The DVR is certainly no Tivo. Setup was quite easy, but the actual recording and reviewing interface is pretty clunky.

Recording at the highest D1 quality, I've logged a full week of continuous recording on the supplied 500GB HDD with no recycling.

All in all, I'd say that this package is a hell of deal for under $200 depending upon your needs. Certainly better than the horror stories I've heard about the Sam's/Costco packages. If you want HD quality and you're prepared to pay at least twice as much for it, this isn't the setup for you. But I'm pleased with what I got.

I've been running the system for about a week, and here is my take:

I had pretty low expectations going in based on the price - 4 cams and DVR for only $180. This system has exceeded my expectations.

Daytime video quality is not great, but not too bad, either. Details like faces get pretty blurry after 20 feet or so, but it works great for watching the front porch and also for surveying the yard if you don't need the detail. Color is pretty darned good! As the sun is nearing the horizon and shining more directly into one of the cams, that cam's image goes to hell, but not much to be done about that except slightly re-angle the camera.

Nighttime quality varies dramatically based on distance and ambient light. I get a really nice image of the front porch because it's close up and I've got some ambient light from the landscape lights. The cams looking over the front and back yards are pretty much worthless - you could make out a person walking out there but no discernable detail. Not a big deal to me.

Camera build quality is quite good. Easy to install. I wish these cams came in white, but I suppose the more conspicuous black cams against the white trim can't hurt.

The DVR is certainly no Tivo. Setup was quite easy, but the actual recording and reviewing interface is pretty clunky.

Recording at the highest D1 quality, I've logged a full week of continuous recording on the supplied 500GB HDD with no recycling.

All in all, I'd say that this package is a hell of deal for under $200 depending upon your needs. Certainly better than the horror stories I've heard about the Sam's/Costco packages. If you want HD quality and you're prepared to pay at least twice as much for it, this isn't the setup for you. But I'm pleased with what I got.

you can easily upgrade to AHD (HD over coax) for not much money if you need better resolution in the future... you can use your existing cable and AHD has recently evolved to 1080p

http://www.amazon.com/iSmart-Outdoor-Security-1500TVL-Connection/dp/B00TAB0DRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430515737&sr=8-1&keywords=AHD+kit