View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: IR Leakage to Lens
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:34 pm 

Hi everyone - this is my first post.

Does anyone have any feedback on this problem I am having up here in Calgary? I have a residential NVR system with 7 POE cams. It's reasonably good quality from a devoted commercial security shop here...not cheap stuff as a package deal. All works well down to -35C (which shows they aren't cheapo cams).

One of my units looks between my house and the neighbour's house. Both of our homes have light coloured vinyl siding that reflects IR (I know, bad, bad, bad). But my issue is that when the camera dome is on, everything is washed out. When I remove the dome, everything looks great. So the Sherlock Holmes in me says the problem isn't the light coloured siding, but the IR leakage to the lens inside the LEDs that encircle it.

Thinking this way I attempted to isolate the lens further than what is provided by the internal foam ring between the lens and the surrounding LEDs using an additional foam O-ring I made myself. It helps, but is nowhere near the quality I get when the dome is removed altogether.

I'd love to be able to selectively disable LEDs to test if TOO much light is the problem, but my cam (I and think most cams) don't allow this. I could open it up and de-solder every second LED or so to test this theory, but I am not sure if leakage of the remaining ones would cause the same problem.

Another approach I was thinking of is to drop the camera closer to ground level and aim it up (instead of down from 12 feet or so) so as to avoid some of the reflection from the white siding.

For the record, everything during the day looks great, and all my other cams are fine at night. I have explored the option of supplemental lighting in the area and do have a strong (2200 lumen) LED motion light there as well. When it turns on this solves the problem when the IR LEDs in the cam disable, but this causes two new issues: 1) the delay makes me miss the event in question 2) the light triggers constantly as the area has two clothes dryer vents and two garage space heater vents that trigger the motion light constantly at night and annoy the neighbours.

I am attaching two pics -- one with the dome off and one with it on.

Any help from forum members would be appreciated. Is my troubleshooting sound here, or am I completely missing something? Thanks all.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please sign-in or register to view or download.

Post subject: Re: IR Leakage to Lens
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:58 pm 

Would it be possible to disable IR totally on the camera and use an external IR light? Something like this one, so you can adjust the beam. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111722615701?_t ... rmvSB=true

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:33 pm 

51cent wrote:
Would it be possible to disable IR totally on the camera and use an external IR light? Something like this one, so you can adjust the beam. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111722615701?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true

Being able to narrow the angle might, as this type of source supposedly allows, solve the problem. Good thought. sadly I can't disable the IR from my software, so either way I am disconnecting the LEDs on the board. But you may be on to something. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:45 pm 
Integrator

Hi. Instead of taking camera apart.... remove some and cover the IRS on the right side (looking from cam front) with black electrical tape then replace dome then see what its like

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:42 pm 

tomcctv wrote:
Hi. Instead of taking camera apart.... remove some and cover the IRS on the right side (looking from cam front) with black electrical tape then replace dome then see what its like

Won't the IT rad (heat) from the LEDs damage something if I do this? I had an indoor camera years ago that I aimed through a glass window to the outside and the heat reflected back and destroyed the cam.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:59 am 
Integrator

CalgaryGuy wrote:
tomcctv wrote:

Won't the IT rad (heat) from the LEDs damage something if I do this? I had an indoor camera years ago that I aimed through a glass window to the outside and the heat reflected back and destroyed the cam.

No heat to talk about.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]