xmun61

PAL or NTSC cameras - can they work together?

I have a CPCAM CPD501 - 4 channel DVR system which came with with 2 colour IR outdoor cameras. Works fine for my needs.

I just bought 2 more cameras from EBAY which looked just like mine and had identical specs. They have just arrived and I connected them but can only get a poor B&W picture with red & green lines running accross the frame.

I noticed that the box says PAL but the DVR (I just found out) is set to NTSC.

CPCAM manual says that the DVR can detect PAL or NTSC and change automatically. (but it hasn't)

We use PAL television in my country so the supplier insists that my DVR should be PAL !?? - I can't understand what television has to do with a stand alone CCTV system and why these systems are not all one format worldwide!

But anyway, can anyone tell me if this is the reason I get a B&W picture or are the cameras defective?

Thanks for your time and any suggestions you may have.

I have a CPCAM CPD501 - 4 channel DVR system which came with with 2 colour IR outdoor cameras. Works fine for my needs.

I just bought 2 more cameras from EBAY which looked just like mine and had identical specs. They have just arrived and I connected them but can only get a poor B&W picture with red & green lines running accross the frame.

CPCAM manual says that the DVR can detect PAL or NTSC and change automatically. (but it hasn't)

Not knowing that specific DVR, my expectation would be that it will do one or the other, but not both at the same time.

We use PAL television in my country so the supplier insists that my DVR should be PAL !?? - I can't understand what television has to do with a stand alone CCTV system and why these systems are not all one format worldwide!

The two video standards are based on the AC power frequency - in North America and a few other areas, our power is 60Hz, and NTSC standard is 30 frames per second; in most of the rest of the world, the power is 50Hz and PAL standard is 25fps.

As for what it has to do with television, well... what are you going to watch the DVR on? It needs to output video using whichever format your monitor uses, which if your power is 50Hz, is probably PAL as well.

But anyway, can anyone tell me if this is the reason I get a B&W picture or are the cameras defective?

Try disconnecting the original cameras and fire up the DVR with only the new PAL cameras connected... see if it switches to PAL then.

Hi Soundy,

Thanks for offering your advice / suggestions so fast!

I see the images from my CCTV on my computer monitor through a VGA converter so PAL or NTSC format or television never crossed my mind. I should have checked first!

Since my post I connected the cameras to my TV and the image is excellent and in COLOUR !

I did try disconnecting the other 2 cameras and using the new ones on the DVR but could not change to PAL. But it makes no difference if it did as I imagine the older cameras are NTSC so I still can't use all 4!

At least the cameras were bought for a song off EBAY so I guess i'll just have to get 2 more.....c'est la vie !

Thanks from SUNNY MALTA!

I don't know of any stand-alone system that can handle both PAL and NTSC cameras simultaneously. Our NVR theoretically can because each channel can be designated PAL or NTSC. A lot would depend on your monitoring system. If you use VGA or DVI monitor(s), they may be able to handle either, although probably not simultaneously on one screen.

Hi Soundy,

Thanks for offering your advice / suggestions so fast!

I see the images from my CCTV on my computer monitor through a VGA converter so PAL or NTSC format or television never crossed my mind. I should have checked first!

With VGA, PAL/NTSC video standards don't apply.

Since my post I connected the cameras to my TV and the image is excellent and in COLOUR !

Bingo! If you connect the original cameras to your TV, you'll probably find a similar effect to what you had connecting the PAL cameras to your DVR.

I did try disconnecting the other 2 cameras and using the new ones on the DVR but could not change to PAL.

Your DVR may require a reset to "factory settings" before it will re-detect the format used.

There may also be the ability to manually set the video standard used (either through a menu option, or through a switch inside the DVR).

DVR can change from PAL to NTSC. or NTSC to PAL. but camera can not.

and choose PAL CAMERA to work with PAL DVR. NSTC camera to work with NTSC DVR.

If choose IP system, then no need to think about this.

can two cameras work on one cable

Hi . Yes you can .... depending on camera and cable used

Would of been better making a new thread and not attaching to an 8 year old one