squale

What is the deal with 850nm IR's and 920nm IR's?

What's the newest? the best?

what are the advantages of one over the other?

what is more powerful that will let you camera see further in the dark?

are these the only 2 types of IR's used in CCTV cameras?

I ask all of this because I am looking at different cameras and some state they have "The new 920NM IR's" and others say they have the 850nm IR's. I am clueless to what this means, and what NM even stands for and what it represents. So it's hard for me to make a judgement of what is the best for me.

Thanks guys.. you all have been a HUGE help in your unbiased opinions..

850 nm vs 920 nm is simply the wavelength of the IR light. From a human visibility point of view the 850 can emit a slight red glow while the 920 is invisible. This is important in very covert type of observations. For your project covert lighting isn't that important. I'd actually go for the 850 if you have a choice since they are more efficient and can project a light further than a 920. LED lighting almost never burns out so you don't have to worry about the bulbs going.

really never burns out? I hear people saying that these day/night cams the leds go like every 5 years or so on them..

I just went on Google and searched for LED sales information and one company stated that LED's last 80,000 hours which translates into 9.13 years. That would be running 24 hours a day. I don't think the LED's on this camera run continously but not sure. Even so I think that would work out for you.