from_jenn2yu

WDR vs DWDR/SWDR

Can someone please explaing the actual differance between WDR.. SWDR.. and DWDR feature in camera? I understand the Wide Dynamic Range concept but need a way to explain the differences in the above.

Appreciate any info provided!

DWDR I guess they mean Digital WDR, it relies on the chip, typically not as good as real WDR, some manufacturers that advertise cameras with Digital WDR will tell us straight up that it is mostly a marketing gimick, that its better than none, but not as good as the real thing.

Like Rory says, there may be differences... but a lot of times manufacturers use slightly different terms or acronyms for exactly the same damn thing, just for sake of sounding like they have something special.

Hi, you can understand it in a way of Digital Zoom & Optical Zoom, where optical zoom is real one, likely DWDR is a feature mfrr provide it using software, but actual WDR processes & analyse the video in DSP of camera and gives appropriate result. But in result you can not find difference as much in Digital & Optical zoom,

Montus

From what I understand, DWDR can't balance an image the same way that true WDR can.

Real WDR lightens dark spots and dims bright areas to bring a whole image into balance.

Digital WDR is capable of bringing up dark spots, but can't lower the level of bright spots.

I would guess that SWDR is the opposite.

It's sort of a gimmick, but it's better than nothing in some situations.

DWDR is just a different way of doing BLC.

There are different ways of doing true WDR.

Double scan - Scan a picture twice one for the bright areas and one for dark areas and combining both.

Pixim - Calculates each pixel separately and adjust accordingly to each one, that is why the picture seems pixelated on these types of cameras but WDR is the best i have seen especially with the new seawolf chips

Well, BLC changes the brightness of an entire image, where the DWDR only changes the darkest areas of an image. It's a good feature to have if there is concern that BLC could blow out the image.

I've been pretty skeptical of WDR in the past: with WDR turned on, many images have a lot of noise, leading to an image that was not as clear as without the WDR. However, you are correct, the Pixim Seawolf looks much better.