johnny916

Bullet cams vs Dome Cameras for outdoor use?

depends on the location:

Bullet camera pros over domes are:

1-more infrared (if used)

2-more weatherproof in general

3-easier to install/adjust

VANDAL dome pros over bullets are:

1-vandal resistant

2-cosmetics

depends on the location:

Built-in IR, as a general rule, is a gimmick and a poor idea. Use external illuminators if you must. Better yet, use cameras that don't need it, and/or add white light.

Unless you have to open one up to adjust zoom/focus... then you've probably reduced the weatherproofing.

1-vandal resistant

2-cosmetics

3-Easier to hide/protect the wiring

Bullet con: easily knocked out of position with a rock or stick - you don't need to damage a camera to disable it.

Much bigger fan of domes over bullets.

Domes:

Can't be redirected easily by a random person

FOV unknown from a distance

easier to conceal wiring

lower-profile

better aesthetics

possibility of changing lenses

can't be ripped down easily

Can change/repair/tint the domes

Bullets:

Cheaper

easier to aim

more obvious (sometimes you want this)

built in IR (though it sucks, and attracts bugs)

Easier to install

Cheaper

That's about how I see it.

depends on the location:

Built-in IR, as a general rule, is a gimmick and a poor idea. Use external illuminators if you must. Better yet, use cameras that don't need it, and/or add white light.

Unless you have to open one up to adjust zoom/focus... then you've probably reduced the weatherproofing.

1-vandal resistant

2-cosmetics

3-Easier to hide/protect the wiring

Bullet con: easily knocked out of position with a rock or stick - you don't need to damage a camera to disable it.

I used IR cameras for 10 years, it is NOT a gimmic - it works, its proven.

And as I said IR in Bullets will generally be much more powerful than IR in a dome.

As for disabling cameras, I mentioned VANDAL resistant - that is the pro to the dome.

BOTH can easily be disabled by simply covering them.

Domes:

Can't be redirected

You can see the lens unless it is dark tint and then it is useless at night.

easier to conceal wiring

They are identical in that area. You get some bullets that do not, you get some domes that do not - but otherwise it is a misinformation to say that one does it over the other, just have to pick the right camera.

possibility of changing lenses

They are normally the same type of camera and use the same types of lenses, M12 or M13.

I change lenses on bullets all the time.

Can change/repair/tint the domes

Every city must have a glass company, glass is on bullets.

Try finding a poly-carbonate dome cover at your local hardware store.

Bullets:

Cheaper

not always, eg. the CNB VBM-24VF is much cheaper than any TDN Bullet equivalent.

more obvious (sometimes you want this)

Except for the mini bullets, which are less obvious than domes.

built in IR (though it sucks, and attracts bugs)

Sounds like you had bad experience with them.

But not every IR camera will have bugs making a nest on them, maybe 1 out of 5.

AND built in IR still works fine once you buy the right camera.

It is misinformation to state that all built in IR sucks - i Use it every day and I know it works.

Domes better for most indoor apps though. Bullet still reigns supreme outdoors, in general.

Domes:

Can't be redirected

You can see the lens unless it is dark tint and then it is useless at night.[/img]

From 15 feet away you can see where the lens is pointed? You have some good eyes

Edited by Guest

From 15 feet away you can see where the lens is pointed? You have so good eyes

15'? Sure, outdoors the lens is easy to spot with the sun reflecting off it, indoors many domes use inserts and that right there tells you which side the lens is. 50', not as easy.

From 15 feet away you can see where the lens is pointed? You have so good eyes

15'? Sure, outdoors the lens is easy to spot with the sun reflecting off it, indoors many domes use inserts and that right there tells you which side the lens is. 50', not as easy.

But wouldn't you be looking right at the camera?

But wouldn't you be looking right at the camera?

Yes you can clearly see the direction of the bullet, but then how do you know if its 2.5mm or 8mm?

One could be looking right at the camera, and like MOST criminals, wearing a mask or hoody.

One could hide in the bush until one figures out where the lens is directed, or like many criminals, case the joint before hand.

I understand your point, but these days it is not really valid anymore- unless the camera has a dark tint and that is suitable for indoors or full light.

A criminal can disable a dome and a bullet just as easy, I dont see what the big argument is.

I Have bullets pointing right at a gate - dummy cameras though - same height as their face, they dont even see them - they still tresspass. The criminal that knows cameras and will do what it takes, can come along the side of a dome or bullet and move or cover the bullet, and cover the dome - disabling both of them - off camera. Ofcourse the dome makes it harder for the average person to just fiddle with so at any reachable height it makes sense to install a dome if it can be mounted there. At an unreachable height then they are both equal. I sledged Hammer Poly-carb dome before and although it did not damage the camera inside, it was rendered useless with the big cracks in it. Many bullets now are coming vandal resistant, literally.

DOMES are not as weatherproof as bullets - fact.

Their entire design leaves the back of the camera wide open.

Just use both and know when to install which one - there is no one type of camera for every application.

Ive done the domes on the pole thing in the middle of summer tropical storms, and they just dont cut it and most manufacturers will tell you they need to be mounted under at least an overhang. In fact if there is any Dome that might be able to hack it then its the Turret Style as its all enclosed and sealed like a bullet camera.

One thing I think we all agree on - Domes are more cosmetic and can be more vandal resistant?

That was in my original post.

Most times, it's a cheap hack workaround for a camera that has lousy low-light performance.

And as I said IR in Bullets will generally be much more powerful than IR in a dome.

And an external illuminator will generally be more powerful than any camera with IR built-in. This isn't really a "benefit" of the casing style, it's a simple factor of how many more cheap IR LEDs you can cram into the housing.

As for disabling cameras, I mentioned VANDAL resistant - that is the pro to the dome.

A stick or a rock can knock a bullet out of position without needing to be in view of the camera or even close to the camera. Even if the camera is still transmitting a clear image, it's still "disabled" if it's looking at the sky or a blank wall or somewhere else that does no good.

A criminal can disable a dome and a bullet just as easy, I dont see what the big argument is.

Both can be disabled in a couple of the same ways.

There are MORE ways that a bullet can be MORE EASILY disabled (or made ineffective).

DOMES are not as weatherproof as bullets - fact.

Their entire design leaves the back of the camera wide open.

That's a ridiculous over-generalization. Not all domes are designed or built the same. A dome that has the wire going in through a sealed grommet is no more or less weatherproof in that location than a bullet that has the wire entering the same way.

A stick or a rock can knock a bullet out of position without needing to be in view of the camera or even close to the camera.

But you gotta be one mofo of a shot.

Edited by Guest

I think the best thing about domes is the deterent factor. The average moron will absolutely think twice about the possibility that the camera behind that dome can follow them- ptz. A camera you know is there but you can't really see is very off putting- even to an average moron. In fact more so. But I love my bullets too for ease of install and looks.

Most times, it's a cheap hack workaround for a camera that has lousy low-light performance.

And an external illuminator will generally be more powerful than any camera with IR built-in. This isn't really a "benefit" of the casing style, it's a simple factor of how many more cheap IR LEDs you can cram into the housing.

A stick or a rock can knock a bullet out of position without needing to be in view of the camera or even close to the camera. Even if the camera is still transmitting a clear image, it's still "disabled" if it's looking at the sky or a blank wall or somewhere else that does no good.

all I can do is LOL @ all of that nonsense.

There really is nothing else to say.

A stick or a rock can knock a bullet out of position without needing to be in view of the camera or even close to the camera.

What's a "mofo"?

What's a "mofo"?

Heh- it's short for mother f**ker. Or is it mutha f**ker. Pick one I guess.

I prefer bullets over domes. It seems that domes have inherent I/R ghosting problems. If you look at a night image from a dome, look for a hazy ring of reflections from the I/Rs. Some bullets also have this problem, but domes exhibit more. Domes have more limited i/R distance also. I have recently switched from one brand of bulets (which had hit/miss ghosting between cameras) to a brand with absolutly no ghosting. Just crisp clear night vision. The I/Rs on the new cameras are almost invisible due to new coating technology. The lens covers 2.8-10MM. The I/R is evenly dispersed from ~5-10 MM, but is slightly darker on edges at 2.8-5 MM. These cameras are real killers out to 50 meters at night. I don't think I can mention brand names. If interested email me.

DVR Man