Sign in to follow this  
mbuk47

cosmicar pentax

Hello all, Hope this is in the right place, I have been given a cosmicar pentax tv zoom lens B12zcme-59 15-180MM,

Is there anyone that knows how to wire this up, there are two sets of cables, one has 3 wires the other has 12 (no plugs) or any info on this lens, been told that it was working before it was removed.

Thank you

Alan

Hi Alan.

That's a nice old-style lens you have there. At 3kg it's a bit of a monster!

If you got to: http://www.securityinfo-online.com/Brands/Tim%20Temp/Technology%20Partners/Pentax/Datasheets/Pentax%20Catalogue%202001.pdf you'll find all of the data for it.

Page 41 has its specifications. Page 48 has the specs for this lens with the preset feature. It's a c-mount lens (not the more modern cs-mount), so you'll need either a camera that can be adjusted to accept c-mount lenses, or a C-CS Mount Adapter ring as shown at the top of page 56.

The three wire cable is for the automatic video iris. It goes to the four-pin square connector on the camera. The camera has to be set to video iris, not DC-iris (which is the newer method for iris control). The wires should be coloured red, black and white, which are used respectively for positive power, ground, and video drive.

The 12-pin cable controls the motorised zoom and focus, as well as iris (but don't bother controlling the iris this way - let the camera do it with the other cable). It looks like there are four different methods to control the zoom and focus. I don't know which suits your lens. Does it have Type 1,2,3, or 5 written on it anywhere?

Page 51 has the pinout for the 12 core cable. If your camera is a B12zcme-P, then it has the Preset feature with two variable resistors VR1 and VR2 to tell an external controller what the focus and zoom are set to.

You could use a small 9 volt battery (like a PP3) to locate the motors. Connect it across two wires at a time, and listen for a motor spinning. Connect the battery the other way around to drive the zoom or focus in the opposite direction. Once you've sorted out the connections, see if the motors work with 6 volts. If they are too sluggish, then they're probably need 12v. You could also use an ammeter to check the current the motor draws, and compare it against the specs on page 41.

It's an old lens, but they're great to play with, and I'd consider it a good score.

I've got a few of these from other manufacturers.

Thank you for the link, just what I was looking for, can setup & play.

Thank you

mbuk47