CoolDude

Camera Resolution

Just curious as to why a Sony camera with 330 lines of resolution would have better focus versus an Ikegami with 470 lines of resolution using the identical lens?

Seams a waste to buy a $400 Ikegami if the $140 Sony outperforms on clarity.

First thing is the Sony camera. What model number is it? Then what is the Ikegami model number. Reason I'm asking is to figure out the chip sizes, etc. When you say focus do you mean sharpness of image or do you mean how well you can see something in a field of view. Can you be a little more specific in what the difference is your seeing between the two cameras.

proper lens and formats, the 480TVL would generally be a crisper image, as it is higher resolution. BUT, depends on the camera and its lux level, lighting conditions, type of cameras, and then some.

The cameras are a Sony SSC-DC193, 1/3" sensor, 330 lines and 0.6Lux @ F1.2 and Ikegami ICD-870, 1/3", 480 lines and 0.08 lux @ F1.4. I have an outdoor housing that is pointed down my street. My neighbor parks his van about 100 meters away from me and with the Sony I can clearly read the address and phone number on the side of his van. With the Ikegami the image is fuzzy and out of focus. Both cameras have been tested using the same lens. Unless the Ikegami has some wierd settings that I am not aware of then the Sony is clearly the better camera. The Ikegami instructions are not the greatest and the bad translation could be my problem but I have set the camera up on almost everyone of the settings and still have the same problem. The cameras also have been back focused.

Could just be the Ikegami is a defect camera also, or has settings like you said you could not translate! Other issues could be lighting, where the Ikegami does not respond as well to Street Lights, or smudges on the Ikegami Chip from installation.

How is the night image on the ikegami?

Higher lux cameras can produce better images in the day than low light Exview, BUT, shouldnt be in your case. Is Ikegami a cheap camera?? I had some High Res COP Security cameras give me crappy images, when lower res bullets gave great ones.

Okay, Ill give you an example here.

2 exactly the same cameras, dark car park, 2 different lenses, but one has the Iris level darker than the other.

Camera 10 is darker, but gives a better crisper image, camera 11 is lighter, sees in the dark better, but image is not as good, in day or night time with light.

Dont know of this helps, but maybe check the IRIS level on the Ikegami.

(camera 11 housing is dirty right now also from rain) PS. Im changing out Camera 10 next week for the Kalatel Ultra View Wide Dynamic Camera by the way, and Camera 11 for the new Exview.

Camera 10

11-42-53-PM.bmp

Camera 10 With Lighting:

withlight.bmp

Camera 11

11-43-23-PM.bmp

I think I know what is going on with the Ikegami. In my experience with Ikegami they ship their cameras with a 5mm focus ring screwed into the front of the camera which is designed to handle C mount lenses. You are using a CS mount lens. See if on your Ikegami there is a thin ring screwed into the lens barrel, it would be 5mm thick and usually is brass or chrome.

If it is on your camera then remove it. Then on the side of the camera are two screws. Above them is the word focus and one screw is a lock screw and the other is adjust. Position the lens' focus ring in the middle of the range and then use the adjust to coarse focus as best as possible. Then use the focus ring on the lens for fine adjustment. Also turn the backlight compensation switch to the off position. Are you using an auto iris lens? If so make sure the Ikegami is switched to the DC video position and you will also have to go into the programming mode to select whether you are using an auto iris lens or manual iris lens. Manual iris would use the AESC setting. This you have to do through the menu options. Hope this help resolves the problem. Ikegami cameras are considered one of the highest quality cameras in our industry. If you don't have the instructions here is a link to a PDF file.

http://www.ikegami.com/cb/products/pdf/manual/icd870.pdf

The Ikegami should win. No idea what is going on but it sounds like something in the setup. Not many faults I can think of will harm resolution. Look at the settings and check the back focus as suggested.

If the lens is auto iris (has a wire) turn off the electronic iris circuit.

If the lens has is manual iris turn it on.

If auto iris you should focus it at night (that will happen) or use a filter in front of the lens to simulate.

If manual iris open the lens fully and then turn it back slightly. I find many lenses underperform when fully open.

Let us know the type of lens, is it only during the day, night, or both if you don't get anywhere.

Well here is the latest. I have tried everyones suggestions and reprogrammed the camera with every one of the different options and the results are the same. The camera is not seeing clearly and in the early morning the video is extremely dark. Further into the day as the sun moves higher in the sky the picture lightens up and is pretty good. As the sun drops the picture goes dark again. When the street lights come on the picture is useable but not the greatest. I really do not want to spend any more time on the cameras. BTW, both cameras do exactly the same thing. Will be on Ebay for sale next week.

First, are you using an auto iris lens or manual iris lens. Second, if using an auto iris lens what model is it and did you set the menu control on the Ikegami to auto iris. Also if it is an auto iris lens you need to focus it at night or by using a neutral density filter so it will open all the way. And also if it is an auto iris lens did you do any adjustment of the video level.

It is tough to trouble shoot something remotely, but it doesn't sound so much as a camera problem as a lens problem.

The Ikegami cam should win hands down.. but I am betting on three things and I will mention them in order of what I thnk they are.

1/ Your lens is not suited to the Ikegami.. this could be for many reasons but the most likely is that it may be Video drive.. can you check this for us.. if it is it will explain the picture and lighting problems you are getting.

Also Ikegami are famous for 1/2 inch sensors, make sure you have the right model and manual. Your lens can be incompatible even if it is DC Drive.

2/ Are you sure you have removed the Cmount adapter from the base ring as this will stop you getting focus.

3/ I think it is possible...however rare, that you have a faulty cameras as the Ikegami should kill the low res Sony.

In my opinion the best 5 cams on the market are the following.

Panasonic

Ikegami

Sanyo

Ganz / Sony

So your cam should beat the Sony hands down.. try foccusing it at night, maybe it is a low light cam.. but I am betting that it is a voltage problem within the Iris or a setting you have changed. leaving the CMount in on a Ikegami is common as theirs are slimmer for some reason.