Robert Oaks

TV Out vs computer for quality pictures

I have been using a Geo600 video capture card, with a VGA video card, and a monitor attached to the video card. Does this produce as good a quality picture as a standard TV attached to the "video output" of a video card? I am trying to get the best quality picture possible. Thank you.

Cant answer on the GEO, but using a computer monitor on a PC DVR i just changed some lenses and housings for, the full screen is noway as clear as direct to a CCTV Monitor, or even a TV. Though Im sure they will all be different. It will generally not be as clear as direct from the camera to a CCTV Monitor though, or a cctv mux to a CCTV monitor. Like I said, speaking from the PC Dvrs I have seen over here so far, mostly Chinese i think (no names), so GEO could be different.

Can you use the video out to a TV to test it? If not you can always test it using a BCN T connector at the connection, going into the DVR card, and out to a TV. My 19" and 13" TVs in my home are very crisp, for TVs, CCTV monitors are the best as they have higher resolution, and are designed to be left on 24/7, in other words they will last longer. Not sure how well Computer monitors do, but I leave mine on pretty much 24/7 these days

Ok I am confused you have two monitors, but is one XVGA and one Composite... if this is the case the composite will look very bad indeed, you need to use the video overlay board ... otherwise known as the GVDSP card, this provides, lag free clearer output to both the XVGA and the composite monitor, faling that you could incorporate a switcher with looping ouputs... you run all cameras to the switcher then they loop back to the DVr, the switcher then goes to your composite monitor, giving full screen images, without affecting the recordings.

Rory,

XVGA is clearer than analog as it has a higher resolution, it is the conversion that buggers them up.