jrmymllr

Hikvision IP camera random lockup

Has anyone had Hikvision IP cams lock up? I have three in use, powered with a good midspan over cat6 cable. They've been installed since the end of October and hence, powered continuously since then (they're also on a UPS). One morning last week I noticed one was missing from my VMS, and I couldn't ping it either. So I power cycled the camera, and it worked again.

Two days later, same thing happened to another camera. Maybe there's simply an increase in cosmic rays hitting my region or something (don't laugh: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_error#Cosmic_rays_creating_energetic_neutrons_and_protons).

Which brings about another point: Why don't these things use a watchdog timer? As an embedded systems designer, I know this is simple and in some cases, free to implement.

An update to this: I'm not sure how random this occurrence was. A day later, another camera did the same. 3 days later, the last camera locked up. Maybe a bug related to uptime? They had been continuously powered for about 4 months.

Dodgy POE switch??

That thought did occur to me. The only item I purchased used was a midspan since my switch isn't PoE, but it's a high-end (albeit used) unit I got very cheaply; midspans seem to have no resale. However, that doesn't explain why each one locked up only once over the course of less than a week, unless it's simply coincidence.

Dodgy POE switch??

That thought did occur to me. The only item I purchased used was a midspan since my switch isn't PoE, but it's a high-end (albeit used) unit I got very cheaply; midspans seem to have no resale. However, that doesn't explain why each one locked up only once over the course of less than a week, unless it's simply coincidence.

There's no such thing as coincidence in this game!

So your using local mid spans to supply power, I doubt if it's the switch then but it's one less thing out of the chain, how about spikes on the local mid spans supply? Could cause a camera to lock up. Look for high current devices on the same circuit.

So far I have three Hikvision 3MP IP camera installed, and one specific camera does randomly lock up every few months. I'm using a Trendnet single-line PoE to feed it, which is what the other two are using as well. All three are in completely separate locations.

No idea why this one locks up, but I added the capability to remotely power-cycle the most inaccessible one.

There's no such thing as coincidence in this game!

So your using local mid spans to supply power, I doubt if it's the switch then but it's one less thing out of the chain, how about spikes on the local mid spans supply? Could cause a camera to lock up. Look for high current devices on the same circuit.

I think that each camera locking up only once, on different days, is definitely coincidence if the camera is assumed to not be at fault!

Spikes on mains is likely not a problem at the camera end. This is a dedicated circuit to the breaker box, and besides, between the camera and outlet is a UPS and the midspan. Also powered from the same UPS output is a DSL modem, WiFi router, Gb switch, and rack computer, and no issues with those.

7 days since last lockup, so this really is looking like camera firmware issues.

Old thread... I've been seeing the same behavior on all of my five hiks (DS-2CD2032-I) Seems like some kind of overflow related to long uptime. Every few weeks they all go off line one after each other.

I do have a watchdog set on my switch so I hardly notice other than when I get the notification...

Old thread... I've been seeing the same behavior on all of my five hiks (DS-2CD2032-I) Seems like some kind of overflow related to long uptime. Every few weeks they all go off line one after each other.

I do have a watchdog set on my switch so I hardly notice other than when I get the notification...

Good to know I'm not the only one. But yours lock up every few weeks? Mine do this about every quarter unless I reboot them before that.

Good to know I'm not the only one. But yours lock up every few weeks? Mine do this about every quarter unless I reboot them before that.

I actually narrowed it down to 83 - 84 days for all 5 cameras. I have exact times, I just have to do some calculations...

I actually narrowed it down to 83 - 84 days for all 5 cameras. I have exact times, I just have to do some calculations...

This sounds more like mine.