Sign in to follow this  
JohnDS

Can someone recommend a home surveillance system?

Hey guys. I am new to the forum. I have been researching home surveillance systems until my eyes bled. I really am not that swift when it comes to certain surveillance terms, so please bare with me. I am looking for a decent home surveillance system. I live on a corner half acre lot. My home is about 50ft away from the road in the front and about 65ft away from the road on the side. The other side of the house is about 80ft to the neighbor. The back is about 50ft to the woods. There are a lot of vandals in the neighborhood that like to destroy mailboxes. I found mine in the middle of the road flat as a pancake. It was actually pretty funny for a few minutes, but it was not the first time. Also, I have just recently redone the whole half acre lawn and once in a while they will drive on it and leave tire marks. This is not your "oops i drive on the lawn by accident u-turn kind of thing". I have a pretty good idea who it is, but I would just like to catch them in the act with some capable cameras. Also someone tried to break in the back door so I would need enough cameras to cover the back yard as well.

So after researching a bit and asking around I wanted the wiring to be the most versatile because I figure cameras and DVR can always be changed out, but who wants to re-run wires especially through the attic. So I narrowed it down to me needing to run cat-6 cable which I think and from what I was told is the most versatile. I looked on amazon for a system because of the numerous reviews, but what I found out was that the seller will be selling a bunch of different systems, but at the same time group all the reviews together which makes no sense, at least for the customer. What I mean is, you can click on a system and look at the reviews and some of the reviews are reviewing a totally different system. The way I found this out was because some people actually inserted the model number of the system they were reviewing and warned others. So obviously the reviews did not help.

With this in mind, can someone with experience recommend a decent system that is a package deal? Maybe 12-16 cameras, I'm thinking bullets will be best? Thank you and I appreciate everyones time to help out a novice.

- if you're not very familiar with video surveillance systems I recommend using IP system: NVR with PoE ports and PoE powered IP cameras. It's simplest wiring possible: Cat5 or Cat6 cable and RJ45 connectors

- take care of NVR bandwidth. It should be higher than sum of individual cameras' bandwidths. For instance for Full HD resolution minimum recommended bitrate is 2 Mbps. For 12 cameras total minimum NVR bandwidth is 24 Mbps. If you intend to use higher resolution cameras, do some math.

- I use Hikvision products for some time and I'm very satisfied with both quality and price

- I agree, bullet type cameras are fine for outdoor use, but for a very simple reason: everyone can recognize it as camera from a distance so it works as deterring factor. Otherwise both dome and bullet type cameras usually have the same technical specs.

What determines the bandwith, the wire size? So if I had 12 cameras and it is 24mbps, you are saying I need the cat 6 wire to be able to carry 24mbps?

Bandwidth is in fact data transmission speed. Every NVR has maximum bandwidth ie. maximum allowed total data speed (bitrate) from all cameras. Sometimes NVR is capable of recording for example 5 Mpix cameras , but not on all channels because in that case maximum total bandwidth is exceeded. Cable type has no influence, because , for instance, Cat5 cable can transmit 100 Mbps which is far above camera's bitrate and Cat6 is specified for 1000 Mbps but it doesn't help for IP cameras, so Cat5 is quite enough.

First of all, welcome to the forums.

Since this is your first time for surveillance systems you should start with network-enabled IP cameras, wired and POE and compound that with NVR (not DVR) system.

You might wanna look into turret cameras for outdoors and while bullet/dome cameras are ok outdoors, you might run into issues with IR lights.

Check if you will need extra lighting systems.

Specification for cameras are quite standard, go for full HD and cameras that support motion detection.

Some good and affordable brands that you might check out are Hikvision, Honeywell.

Also, search for a local dealer/installer to help your setup. And do ask questions.

Good Luck.

- if you're not very familiar with video surveillance systems I recommend using IP system: NVR with PoE ports and PoE powered IP cameras. It's simplest wiring possible: Cat5 or Cat6 cable and RJ45 connectors

I don't agree with this - RJ45 connectors are not simple or easy to make up (and test) for a first-timer. Yes there are plenty of guides and videos on the internet, however getting everyone right the first time is certainly not easy

In a previous life, I used to look after a network for about 250 people on site and 750 off site in an industry that is very heavily regulated meaning absolutely everything had to be kept in-house. It's safe to say that I have made up a CAT5e cable or two! I still made the odd mistake when making up a cable (whatever you do, don't tell the wife I admitted to making a mistake!!!). I don't know anyone who makes a perfect RJ45 connection every single time.

The alternative is to use pre-made patch leads of the right length, however, these are not easy to run (even 'snagless' clips still snag!) and require larger holes to be drilled.

Video Baluns and DC Plugs/Sockets with either screw or push pin connectors are more simple and easier to fit (and require no special tools) than RJ45 connectors, especially for a newbie!