Sign in to follow this  
Baud1200

Megapixels vs Quality??

Guys I am new to lot of this and after few days of trying to research and decide on camera for my small surveillance setup over my work truck (1-2 cameras). ATM i use Ispy software on a 8 core rack mount server with a cheapo Dlink 5222L cam. Needless to say the nighttime capabilities of this camera are limited. I have a limited range of use only 30-50 yards but it does need to work very well at night with interference (IR reflections off steel railings and street light currently blocking 1/4 the picture is major issue atm).

You can barely make out the truck on the road, let alone anyone messing with it. Identifying them is out of the question.8NKUB Believe it or not I have already painted that railing matte black...

Needing to upgrade and would like some advice, Should i jump on bandwagon of high Megapixel camera or go for a high quality lower megapixel one?

1 Megapixel Axis -P3364-VE (12MM version)

VS

3 Megapixel Trendnet TV-IP311PI

I have seen side to side comparisons of both brands 2MP cameras and nighttime IR on the Axis is clearly better. Given that i could get the Axis for within $100 the cost of the Trendnet, would you take it despite 1MP vs 3MP?

Thanks, I did hear that They are rebrands, at least will be able to flash with English firmware. Still cant get over the price point though. Life's experience has taught me that there is usually a difference between a $200 dollar product and a $1200 one in the same competition, that being there is a reason for the price difference.

Here is a video (sorry russian) showing side by side comparison of the 2 brands using thier 2MP cameras. Looks good for the Hikvision initially but then you see the difference in low/no light conditions and the Axis destroys it hands down..

n6cu006s9V8

This is more or less what i was trying to find out if the image celerity at night will be better with the Axis even though the re branded Hikvision is 2MP higher?

I doubt you will be able to flash it with Hikvision firmware. Hikvision is attempting to stop this practice.

If you are looking for low light performance you should be looking at manufacturers that have low light products; Lightcatcher, Lightfinder, Starlight..... Then you need to figure out how much light you currently have to work within the camera's FOV. If it is pitch black or close to that you will need to add IR. If you want the best performance (which will also be the most expensive) is a low light camera and external IR or white light. I prefer white light over IR as color images are more useful for evidence IMHO.

Hi. No you can no longer flash hikvision English software from this October. If you buy trendnet you can't flash with hik

Axis 1mp has been around for years and still it holds its own against high pixel China cameras.

1mp will always be better at night .... Also look at the stretch on the trendnet/hik. And the image looks nothing like 2mp

Also if you are looking to go down the Hikvision road please be aware that Hikvision is owned by the Chinese Government. Rightly so this info has made a lot of people uncomfortable using their products

Thinking the Axis P3364-VE will be the way to go, I can get one for $300 without the cable (wasn't planning to use audio anyways) so can just use Rj45 with POE.

You basically confirmed what i had researched about the Axis being proven in this situation, and the additional firmware roadblocks that the asian camera has makes it easier choice.

Not sure if yall can see the picture in my first post the link doesnt work correctly, have to right click it and open in new tab/window or it wont pop up or show, but thats what i am dealing with atm with the Dlink...

The IR reflection off that even matte black railing and the street light in the top left are killing me. Hopeign the $1200 axis will handle this better than my 1/4MP Dlink 5222l. Unfortunatley its a rental property and a makeshift mount in an open window at this ground level is all that i can do in terms of placement so no way around either the railing or the light. Incase you wonder why i dont lower the view to eliminate the street lamp, that railing is mounted on a cinderblock wall painted white, and that completely trashes the picture due to IR reflection if its visable.

http://imgur.com/a/8NKUB

Also if you are looking to go down the Hikvision road please be aware that Hikvision is owned by the Chinese Government. Rightly so this info has made a lot of people uncomfortable using their products

Would this be an issue with the TrendNet cam as its using a different firmware (no Chinese gov backdoor?) and apparently according to y'all you cant flash it to with the asian one?

Is there even any advantage of using the Hik firmware over the Trendnet one if you could?

Hi. Will be a mistake to buy for $300

Plus I don't think the axis will help with the location you have posted.

Can you no mount it higher ??

image.thumb.jpeg.a0bd584ddb44af88f61e6bda3ee2fde1.jpeg

Unfortunately not without running a snippable rj45 out of my window and finding some way to mount the thing without putting holes on the building which they will not allow. Worried that if I just set it up there in this manner that they will just come from below, cut the wire, and steal the camera. The main threat is upstairs neighbor that sees everything that i would set up, they are also the ones doing the vandalism Any higher and they could literally throw a towel out the window to cover it.

Would even the cheap Hik be worth it in terms of the truck being out 30 feet from the camera and the fact that it has almost double illumination range?

Manufacturer specs claim 82ft vs 25ft so maybe 80% of those numbers IRL?