Harrisburger

Best CCTV System for a Business in a bad neighborhood.

Greetings all,

Hope your holiday season is going well (and stays intruder-less).

The company I work with recently moved to a city in PA from DC, and we've now opened our offices, and we are now moving to setting up a security system/ CCTV. We need some recommendations with a little more insight than Amazon reviews.

The neighborhood we live in seems to have frequent crime. The corner next to us is a hotspot for drug dealing, and recently we had shootings literally in front of our storefront. No glass was damaged and nobody was shot, but we've completely lost faith in the police after seeing their 1 hr+ response time and the fact that they missed 7 shell casings literally in front of our store! They came to "investigate", yet we found the shell casings and slugs scattered literally in front of our store. We want cameras that are reliable, can't be easily disabled by crackheads, and most importantly have good night vision.

We made a fuss with the police and mayor, and they went to collect the security tapes from our friends across the street who run a museum. Although they have multiple professionally installed dome-style systems, their cameras were completely ineffective at night, even just across a narrow street of approx 25 feet. None of the footage was useful, and the cameras don't seem to deter this sort of crime because they realize that nobody is actively monitoring them.

We need to find the best system that has the following requirements:

Local storage

Good night vision

Accessible (easy to install, use app to monitor, etc)

Not wireless (unless there is a reliable system, we've heard bad things)

Not able to be hacked or compromised, and not reliant on WIFI to link system.

Weatherproof for outdoor cameras, able to function in below zero temperature.

If there are any other factors to consider, please let me know. I've heard about some cameras that have facial recognition capabilities, although I've also heard of some of these cameras that trigger many false alarms.

I greatly appreciate the expertise of this forum, and would like to thank you for the time you take to read and help us with this issue.

Regards,

-B

If footage at night is important, I'd recommend installing lighting that keeps the area well lit. Then you dont have to worry about IR on cameras. Any IR is still only going to give you a black and white image. With sufficient lighting, the camera will stay in color.

I use Geovision cameras and software and am satisfied. I buy the cameras on Amazon and use PCs as an NVR. If security is a concern, Id recommend dome cameras.