slimlad

Which cameras

Hi all.I've got a ie geek dvr h264 with hd output.full d1 dvr.

This is a replacement for my old anologue system.I'm now wanting to upgrade my cameras from anologue to the best my dvr supports.the only thing it says is it doesn't support ahd 720p or above.what does this mean and what can I upgrade to.

Hope someone can help with this issue.

Thanks

Richard

I think you bought an old analogue system to replace your old analogue system. You will need AHD or TVI DVR and corresponding cameras to upgrade to high definition.

Hi all.I've got a ie geek dvr h264 with hd output.full d1 dvr.

A D1 DVR is also an analog system. The "best" your DVR supports is, well, analog video...

Ok thanks.I bought it to replace my old one as it died.and I was going on holiday.looks like I'm going to have to buy another full system then.

If you plan on replacing all the old analog camera's immediately to hd camera's, then a complete new system is in order here .

But ,if you wanted to replace the defective dvr now and replace/upgrade/add hd camera's over time , then you can purchase an hvr .

Hybrid video recorders will work with your existing analog camera's, plus you can add hd cams as your budget allows .these hvr's work with at least 2 different technologies meaning old sd analog ,new hd analog like hd-tvi or hd-cvi, or ahd .some will also accept network camera's.

For example, hikvisions ds-7316hqhi-sh hvr will work with analog,hd-tvi, & network camera's.

So without spending mega bucks which is the best around for hd.all these different kinds I'm not clear about.I thought there was anologue and hd.but there seems to be different hd.

There are several different technologies or formats available.

There is standard definition analog which is what you have .

Then there is high definition analog .Hd-tvi, hd-cvi, and ahd technologies .

Then there is high definition digital .Hd-sdi &hd-sdi ex .

These all work on rg59 coax cabling .or sometimes twisted pair cabling with baluns .

Then there are also network based systems .

It is important to understand that none of these technologies will work with the other at all unless you have a hybrid or a tribrid video recorder .then only the technologies listed in that hvr's specs will be compatible .for example ,many hvr's will be compatible with standard definition analog and one format of high definition analog (hd-tvi, hd-cvi, or ahd).

Tribrids will usually be compatible with standard definition analog, network based and one format of high definition analog.

High definition analog systems offer dvr's & hvr's that start at about $75 for a 4 channel up to about $1000ish depending on the # of channels ,frame rate ,storage etc .you can get a very good quality dvr/hvr in the $200- $400 price range .

Check out this thread for more info .

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51070