stanward

Condensation in Lorex Dome Camera

Hello,

I have four Lorex Dome Cameras that produce condensation here in Hawaii. Condensation only happens at night when the temperature falls. Measured ambient temperature at 70degF and the dome camera produces 81degF, measured with a Fluke thermocouple. All cameras are installed under the eaves of the home to prevent getting hit by rain. All cameras have IP66 rating.

These are the Lorex Dome Cameras that are in question:

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-security-cameras/3-megapixel-hd-ip-dome-camera-with-long-range-night-vision/LNE3162BW-1-p

LNE3162

The cameras do have two dessicant packs in them from factory. Condensation appears both on the lens area as well as the IR LED area.

I tried on one camera (before installation), to use Permatex Gasket maker on all seams of the housing body, including the seams of the lenses and housing (both sides of the black IR LED isolation ring). No success.

Do I need to put more dessicant packs inside? Have anyone tried using the Rain X Anti-Fog on the inside of their lenses?

https://www.rainx.com/product/glass-water-repellents-cleaners/rainx-anti-fog/#.WJAonGYzW70

My Lorex Kit also came with 4 bullet cameras that do not exhibit the same problem:

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-security-cameras/3-megapixel-hd-ip-camera-featuring-long-range-night-vision/LNB3163BW-1-p

LNB3163

FLIR owns Lorex, FLIR claims that the cameras branded FLIR are of a superior construction than Lorex, they claim their cameras us a metal housing where the Lorex are plastic, I have not verified this. I've taken apart the FLIR eyeball cameras, they are sealed with an O ring and also contain one or two bags of desiccant. That being said, I have to wonder if the cameras have leaked, are not properly sealed with the O ring?

I have an LumiNox wrist watch, same problem after having a professional change the crystal. The repair shop is in New Jersey, I suspect the shop area has a high humidity and water vapor was trapped in the watch. If your camera is not leaking, I have to wonder about the location where the camera was assembled, probably in a foreign country with high humidity, where the desiccant is saturated.

My idea, obtain a compressed cylinder of nitrogen. Have a clear plastic bag prepared that is large enough to house your camera, cable and whatever else goes with it. Open the camera, gently flood the internal parts with low pressure nitrogen, of course, you can't get rid of the air, but you are trying to minimize the air which contains moisture. Put the camera in the bag, fill the bag with nitrogen, so it's kind like a balloon. Let the nitrogen out, fill again, eventually getting rid of the moisture. With the camera sealed in the bag, close the camera up. If you have some new silica gel packets, would be a good time to replace them. I've heard it's possible to recycle the silica gel packs by placing them in a low temperature oven for several hours. I'm sure you can read up on this.

Once the camera is closed, there should be little or no air, which is holding moisture. I've never tried this but have thought about it with my wrist watch as an example.

BTW, we have the same problem with underwater cameras, in a tropical climate, such as Hawaii, there is a high moisture content in the air, down under the camera housing cools off and the water condenses inside, some people bring with them bags of silica gel for that purpose.

If you try this, I'd like to know how this turns out.

You should be able to purchase a small cylinder of nitrogen, along with a regulator at an industrial gas supply, I doubt that you can rent one, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Jim

Would re assembling the camera in an air conditioned building work as well?

I will have to see if I can find access to nitrogen. I have Argon/CO2 due to my MIG welder setup. Not sure if that would work as well.

Room air conditioning would help depending on the relative humidity, but best to replace the air, don't see why your gas mix shouldn't work, try it. It will not hurt anything. Argon is a noble gas, will not react with things, and I don't think the CO2 would matter, as the mixture should be dry, having water in the mixture would be real bad for welding, tig, mig, etc. Jim