Sign in to follow this  
Casper01

Geovision VD-122D advice needed for wiring

Hi,

I'm repairing a Geovision VD-122D outdoor network connection and need some advice as to what others do or use to wire/connect it to the network.

The VD-122D has that thick 3' long cable coming out of it with an RJ45 at the end. Previously I cut the cable back to about 1 1/2' so it could fit inside the pedestal, but to connect it to the network, had to use an inline coupler. I had a waterproof coupler but it wouldn't fit inside the pedestal, so had to use a smaller coupler and just put heatshrink tubing over it. The camera failed, and have to assume it was due to the coupler as I couldn't find anything else wrong with it.

Its mounting direct to flush brick, the geovision pedestal, I can find the pt# now, but it's that heavy metal one, with the gaskets between the base and the arm. I have the base bolted directly to the brick, silicone sealed the outer edges on the brick, and around the cable where it comes out of the brick. The cable itself is a 24awg UTP Cat5e.

When mounted, its extremely solid. The cables were installed during building construction, and they only left 5" of exposed cable (love contractors). Now the building is complete, its drywalled and sealed inside, its impossible to access to run new lines. The hole drilled through the brick that they ran the cable through is only 1/4", barely enough to fit the utp cable through, or otherwise I could just push the coupler to the inside of the building and seal the brick.

I have another camera now, with another 3' thick cable coming out of the camera. Only thing I can think of doing is taking down the pedestal base and installing a junction box, relocate the pedestal base a foot over and run a pvc conduit to the junction box, then can use the waterproof coupler. Measurements for the new base location, and conduit would have to be exact so I don't end up with too much cable in the junction box or too little.

So before I go ahead and putting this eyesore contraption on the wall, I wanted to see if I could get some other ideas for mounting.

Thanks for any advice!

I would just buy a different Geovision camera that has no pigtails. I use Geovision EVD3100 3MP alot and it works great. The cat5 jack goes directly into the camera. Holes in walls only need to be big enough for cat5 cable to fit through.

https://www.amazon.com/Geovision-GV-EVD3100-H-264-Super-Vandal/dp/B019S45A7Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487006758&sr=8-1&keywords=geovision+evd3100

You can use your current camera somewhere else where wiring isnt such an issue.