Sign in to follow this  
jrmymllr

DS-2CD2335-I resolution weirdness

I have a few DS-2CD2332-I cameras that I have had set to maximum 2048x1536 resolution, because, well why not? It's the highest resolution and I want all the detail I can get. Well, just today I discovered if it reduce it to 1920x1080, I get a wider field of view, but less in the vertical direction. Makes sense in hindsight. I tried it and decided I like 2048 better.

So I tried this on my installed DS-2CD2335-I and was shocked to find the field of view doesn't change at all. With the DS-2CD2332-I, reducing the resolution made an obvious difference in FOV. But the latter, none. I can see just as far to the left, right, up and down. Yet in 1920x1080, the image fills the screen nicely on a modern LCD, unlike how it looks in 2048x1536. How can this be? Obviously Hikvision is doing some trickery like stretching the image (which isn't obvious nor desirable) or using "black bars", although the black bar theory doesn't really add up either.

Has anyone ran across this? I'm surprised the behavior is so different between two otherwise nearly identical camera models.