ingeborgdot

Looking for surveillance cams question.

I just joined 2 forms in the last couple of days because I am now going to setup a system of surveillance in my yard and around my house and front door. Why? For fun more than anything since crime is almost null around here. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but in a smaller area like I live in, I'm pretty lucky for sure. So, why not have some fun while also decreasing the risk for crime, (not saying it won't happen now) but it should help identify someone if it does happen.

Well, anyway I want to find a good camera for a good price as I'm sure everyone wants to get it as cheaply as possible. I do understand you get what you pay for but I want to draw a happy medium if possible. If I can get a great camera for $100 so be it but I highly doubt that. Is there anything under the $200 range that is quality? After a lot of reading and looking, I have found that Hikvision to be my best bet because it is readily available at B&H here in the US. They have a good selection to choose from and need some advice. Does anyone have any recommendations what they like and they use? I just feel that real people give me the best advice. Thanks.

A turret is regarded as being better than a dome many posters. Domes seem to have ir bleed problems.

For Hikvision, look for the Ultra Lowlight models, they have excellent night vision for the price.

Dahua Starlight models are also good low light cameras.

Buying from B&H is more expensive, but you get a good warranty.

Buying from ebay or aliexpress is cheaper, but you may not get any warranty.

The way that electronics are made anymore I believe in warranties as I have had many issues with electronics in the last several years. That is even purchasing of you get what you pay for philosophy. I like B&H and am willing to pay more to get their service and return policy.

My question now is, do I go 2.8mm or 4mm? That's a hard call. I decided I am going with DS-2CD2342WD-I with 4MP but 2.8mm or 4mm? How do I gauge what I need?

What lens you need is governed by what picture you want. 2.8mm will give a wide field of view with little detail while a 12mm would give a narrower field of view with appreciably more detail. The difference between 2.8mm & 4mm is fairly negligable.