ddbear

Would the Panasonic WV‑SW175 benefit from an IR illuminator?

The Panasonic WV‑SW175 has an "electronic day/night" feature. I think that means it does not have an IR cut filter? Is anyone familiar with how this camera series (WV-SW174W, WV-SW175) performs with an IR illuminator? Would an 850nm IR illuminator help a little bit, or not at all, for this camera series? I just need to brighten it up a little bit on pitch black night, I don't need to make everything glow. A white light may disturb the sleep of the animals at this ranch.

It does not look like it has an ir cut filter, so ir won't help. The 0.6 color and 0.5 b&w lux rating isn't good. For that kind of money you can get a PTZ with ir lighting from Dahua or Hikvision. They have about a .005 lux rating. You can find Starlight demos online.

Panasonic is top quality, but expensive.

Thanks for confirming the effect of the IR illuminator with this camera. I wasn't sure what they meant by "electronic" day and night, if that was a fancy name for an electronically operated IR cut filter.

With regard to Panasonic, I have installed more than 40 Panasonic i-Pro network cameras at my house and at my brother's business, and over the years none of them have ever failed, and the image quality of the MOS sensor is superior to all the other cameras. I also installed a Canon network camera at my brother's business and those kept failing. I installed Dahua cameras at my mom's business because she wanted to save money, and that system failed so I am replacing it with Panasonic.