Sign in to follow this  
jerry007

PTZ Camera not Tilting all the way up after a week.

First time poster and complete CCTV newbie.

I have this particular H.View CCTV kit paired with this Bullet PTZ camera:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-1080P-HD-Outdoor-Security-Camera-System-1080P-HDMI-CCTV-Video-Surveillance-8CH-DVR-Kit/32737860813.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AHD-Bullet-Camera-Full-HD-1080P-960P-IR-Outdoor-10X-pan-tilt-zoom-5-50mm-autofocus/32666876284.html

I bought the PTZ last week and installed it in place of one of the kit cameras. There are currently 4 cameras connected to my DVR. The cameras are all powered from the same 12V power supply and are connected to it through a four way splitter. I used the 60 feet power and video cable supplied in the kit to connect the PTZ to the DVR (the camera is 10m from the DVR). For the RS485 controls I used an outdoor CAT5 cable that I connected on the back of the DVR and the camera. I then went to the PTZ menu in the DVR to make the correct settings for ID, Protocol and Baudrate.

The camera was fully functional and I could control the Pan, Tilt and Zoom functions from the DVR (I don't have a dedicated PTZ controller). I was really excited about it!

Here's the problem: When I initially installed the camera last it could tilt all the way up and see the sky. Yesterday I noticed that the camera has lost most of it's horizontal reach. I can move it all the way down but when I start to move it up it stops at 1/4 of the way. It's very frustrating. The pan and zoom functions work with no problem.

I tried turning it off and on several times, as well as double checking I have the correct PTZ settings on my DVR. I checked all the cable connections. I also watched the camera while I tilted it all the way up using the phone application.

You can hear the sound of the motor when it moves and then the sound stops 1/4 of the way. I thought that it might have had trouble lifting the weight of the camera so I tried tilting it up with my phone and gently pulling it up with my hand but the motor had resistance and I couldn't move it without breaking it. It's like it doesn't receive a command to tilt up further than that.

The only thing that comes to mind and I haven't tried yet is the camera having insufficient power supply to tilt all the way up since it's connected along with three other cameras. This doesn't make any sense for me since it has been connected on the same power supply with the other cameras since I bought it and it worked fine then. I have an extra 12V power supply to connect it tomorrow.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

It could be the power supply, or it could be the low quality camera(s). The PTZ looks like the Huisun mini ptz or Imporx cameras, which have had a lot of problems.

The separate power supply should reveal to you if it is the camera.

If the Boogerman were here, he would tell you to send it all back.

A lot of the Chinese manufacturers use either the same bodies or copy each other's anyway so I wouldn't be comfortable guessing who the original manufacturer of the camera is.

It sounds unlikely to be a power supply issue, however for the sake of ruling it out, it's worth disconnecting all the other cameras and just having the one camera on there.

Out of interest, are you only having this issue at night, or is it all the time?

As you continue to click the up button, the DVR should be sending a 'move up' signal to the camera. If the camera then tilts down, pans/zooms correctly I would hazard a guess that it's working correctly...however again you know what they say about assumptions!!!

It could be that when pointing up, something has fallen on it and made it point down. The motor still thinks it's pointing up so when you tilt it down it can go to it's stop but when you go to tilt it back up, it can only go to what it thinks is the limit?

I am afraid to say, however, that it sounds most likely that something inside the camera is not working as it should. Either something is broken or the calibration is out.

You can try the customer help (Contact Now button on the product listing), however I wouldn't hold your breath for a useful response - I'm afraid that is the problem with buying from Aliexpress/eBay (where most comes direct from China anyway) or many similar other stores. Buying from reputable sellers who will be there to help in the event of something going wrong - where they have extensive experience with the product is your best bet.

Good luck!