Sign in to follow this  
Afek12

Camera to Car Plate License

Hey, I need to understand something, I've 4mp cctv system but the camera at the road can't see car plate, I investigate that and I get 3 conclusions, the first one was that I need HLC Camera, the other one was that I need auto focus camera, I don't want LPR Camera, just regular camera that can see car plates.

the reason LPR cameras exist is that reading license plates is quite difficult . You have to account for reflective surfaces, graphic designs on plates, changing lighting conditions, speed of cars, camera placement, focus and auto iris. among other things so it is not always easy to consistently capture plates. Part of a plate reader system is also the software. It is possible to see plates with a standard camera but all these factors need to be looked at if you want to read every plate on every car.

The first question is what country are you in? Different countries have different number plate specifications. However, as you've talked about HLC I am going to assume you are somewhere with very reflective plates such as the UK.

If so, I suspect you are getting totally white number plates, especially at night time - HLC won't help with this. The camera is just seeing a very bright rectangle and will just mask out the whole plate.

If I had to guess, I'd also guess that you are trying to see number plates on a more general camera. To do the job properly, you really need a dedicated camera just for this purpose, zoomed in on the area plates are likely to be. This also allows you to focus the camera on the expected spot.

If possible, have the camera positioned so that the vehicle is driving towards (or away from) for as long as possible.

Ultimately, to do the job properly with any high rates of success you will need a dedicated camera for this job