Sign in to follow this  
marklyn

my spider web issue is 100% solved

For years I've tried all kind of "remedies" to rid the area around my cameras from spider webs. Peppermint oil, various commerical sprays, home-made concoctions, etc. Nothing ever worked or worked for more than a few days.

Until... I discovered that if I place (hang) a small plastic container with about 4-5 mothballs under the camera that either the flying bugs (bait) or the spiders finally give up and stop coming around. I've done this to 5 cameras that I had webs and spiders and flying insect problems with and now I have had zero problems with spiders or webs and rarely does a flying insect come around.

My theory is that the slow release of the fumes of the mothballs discourages flying insects from coming too close to the camera's IR and if the spider doesn't have food in a known good area they don't come around. Maybe the spider doesn't like it either, who knows... all I know is that I've used this method for months now and have had no webs unless I forget to reload a location with mothballs. An uncovered container usually lasts about 3+ weeks and a covered container lasts 2+ months.

My method is to use a small container with small holes in the bottom (in case rain gets in) and place those under the eve of the house, mostly protected from rain.

For cameras out in the open I used the same method but with a top for the container and I add holes at the top of the container to let fumes out so that the fumes waft upward toward the camera. I've attached a picture.

PS. for some reason a cheesecloth sack with mothballs was not nearly as effective as this setup!?

I'm telling you. This.works.well!

Also, get the mothballs in the big box at home depot, they last much longer than the cheap ones at the dollar store!

20171015_091008.thumb.jpg.2cc84f8770be47c65b74c3adb8d42a0b.jpg