Sign in to follow this  
big_steel

broken into. need a security camera setup

hello all. merry christmas to all. new member asking for help. I was broken into 2 weeks ago. the window guards were pulled from the wall. im on ground floor. rented apt. nothing was stolen although I think they didnt look in the right places. I cant take any chances again.

id like to add 1 security camera (dont need more as its a small 1.5 room apt.) that can do the following:

-alert to my phone of perimeter activation and see real time video of home.

-record at high resolution/ high fps (I always notice on news footage the security cam always shows low fps and bad resolution you cant make anything out or who the thief was)

-Id like to speak from my smartphone ,through the cam to warn the burglar verbally have 2 way communication with them if possible. or through my sound system. I plan on trying to connect the camera to a wall mounted surround speaker ill remove the internals, so itll be la ninja mode

-record with motion activation and record immediately away from the cam to small rasperry pi pc HDD, or offline and camera card.. if they steal the cam -no footage

I was considering this camera hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW because of its flat profile to install into a speaker. looking to get the 4mm model as 2.8mm will be too wide.

no experience with security cameras prior to this. my question is it ok using a small raspberry pi pc (hidden) with hdd used to record the footage vs buying a video recorder? also, is it possible to record the HD video stream to my phone with an app? im trying to see if there is a way to do it without paying cloud services.

Most people breaking into places don't even see the cameras haven't you seen the videos where people leave webcam and they don't even notice it well what I would do first is get a security system if you can't get one with a company just get a DIY you need something to make noise and deter.

Also yes good quality is a great tool to have but if he is hiding his face and arms with a solid black jacket your in the same boat.

Good quality cameras are good to have for different reasons but I'd always recommend another source to deter break ins and okay noises seem to work well especially if the cops arrive shortly after.