theTastyCat

Need to replace Hik turret - wait for 4k/30fps or not?

Hey all - just had a Hik 3MP turret go bad because I hadn't properly sealed the connector against the weather; the little black spot inside the connection tells me some water got in and fried it.

So I need to replace it with another turret, and I've had great luck with my other 5 Hikvision turrets that are now four+ years old and going strong. 4k is certainly tempting, but it seems like it's not worth dropping below 30fps to get.

Any idea how far we are from reasonably-priced 4k/30fps? Should I just replace the camera with another 3MP for now? Or is it worth upgrading for the 8MP Hik turret's 5MP/30fps? Would it still do OK at night?

Many thanks for the advice!!

Wow, hasn't realized that - assumed I could mix and match cameras. Really? Just going to a PC as an NVR - anything I can do to use different resolution cameras together?

Wow, hasn't realized that - assumed I could mix and match cameras. Really? Just going to a PC as an NVR - anything I can do to use different resolution cameras together?

Do you have a 4K monitor to view it on? If it's an IP system you can buy a 4K and drop it in with no worries. You will just not "see" 4K unless you have the appropriate monitor.

Ok - the more I thought about it the less sense it made! Yes, it is an IP system. I do have a 4k monitor, but not connected to the PCNVR, but I'd certainly like the 4k so I can zoom in and still have pretty clear resolution. Surely I could still view the video on my non-4k monitor, albeit a lower resolution?

So any idea if 4k/30 is on the horizon for a decent price? May just replace it with a 3mp while I wait - or is the 5mp/30 mode worth it on the current 8mp turrets?

Thanks a lot!

Ok - the more I thought about it the less sense it made! Yes, it is an IP system. I do have a 4k monitor, but not connected to the PCNVR, but I'd certainly like the 4k so I can zoom in and still have pretty clear resolution. Surely I could still view the video on my non-4k monitor, albeit a lower resolution?

So any idea if 4k/30 is on the horizon for a decent price? May just replace it with a 3mp while I wait - or is the 5mp/30 mode worth it on the current 8mp turrets?

Thanks a lot!

Define decent as far as price? 4K cameras can be had for under $300 now.

Do you have a 4K monitor to view it on? If it's an IP system you can buy a 4K and drop it in with no worries. You will just not "see" 4K unless you have the appropriate monitor.

It’s not that simple ..... going 4k cameras and 4K monitor will still not give you 8k

Better pc with 4k graphics .... more storage also needed

When I didn't hear back I ordered the 8MP; planning in running it in 5MP/30 for now to still have fluid FPS. Figure it would be silly to buy another 3MP when I can at least have 5MP clarity with the same framerate.

By "reasonable", I'm thinking around $125; that's about the price point that my 3MP Hiks were 4 or 5 years ago when I bought them, and the 8MP I just ordered was around there as well. Eventually 4k/30fps Hik turrets will exists and will come down to around there; I'm looking forward!

I do have the capability to view 4k, just not on the PCNVR. Also, the PCNVR and cams are not connected to the internet, so if I really want to see a certain clip in 4k, I'll put it on a flash drive and view in on my good PC.