Sign in to follow this  
mcbink

Sony Starvis

Hi all, currently I have a Swann 4750 DVR with some Swann 3megapixel 858 cameras with fixed lens at 3.5mm. It's my first security camera kit purchase and I purchased it at a very realistic price so am not complaining. To be honest for what I paid it's ok but limited. The cameras produce good clear images during the day of stationary objects and again at night but when objects move thats when the picture quality shows signs of weakness, the picture tends to blur and this is worsened at night to the extent that moving objects are hardly recognisable.

I'm thinking about buying a couple of cameras to put in places where I'd expect more movement to take place and I'd like better results than the current swann cameras can produce. I think I'd also like cameras with varifocal lens up to around 12mm. Has anyone used Sony Starvis cameras and if yes could you tell me how well they cope with moving objects at night please.

My current DVR can cope with AHD or TVI cameras, up to 3megapixel, BNC fittings and can use Pelco C.

Cheers

And The Lord sayeth let there be more light.

More light is the probable solution for the older cameras. At night, the exposure is slower to let in more light, causing moving objects to ghost.

The Dahua 2mp starlight cameras and the Hikvision ultra lowlight cameras are currently the best of the affordable low light cameras.

And The Lord sayeth let there be more light.

More light is the probable solution for the older cameras. At night, the exposure is slower to let in more light, causing moving objects to ghost.

The Dahua 2mp starlight cameras and the Hikvision ultra lowlight cameras are currently the best of the affordable low light cameras.

Hi and cheers for the reply, when I put Starvis I should have put Starlight as I think they may be slightly better for colour. I took a look at the Dahua cameras but I don't think they do AHD or TVI which is what my DVR copes with. Hikvision may be ok but I've not found one yet that fits but will keep looking.

The Dahua starlight will get ghosting in color mode at night,unless you add more light, but b&w is much better.

Good luck

The Dahua starlight will get ghosting in color mode at night,unless you add more light, but b&w is much better.

Good luck

Cheers for the heads up. One of my cameras can give a ghost effect in low light before the IR kicks in. As you say if there is some artificial light near by the ghosting does not happen but in the darker areas it does with my camera.

I do have a 26x led light (not IR) near by to where three of my camera are aimed.

Dahua seem at first hand to be quite reasonable systems the only problem I would have with their cameras at the moment is they only seem to make HD CVI cameras and my system only states AHD or TVI so they are probably not compatible.

Think I need to keep to Starvis preferably I suppose. Or Hickvision.

Thank you for the replies they are helpful, I am just getting to grips with CCTV technology. Might change my complete system when I know what to look for but just trying to make my current system work enough for now.

Many thank's