Sign in to follow this  
watts31

Image Sensos and Lenses

Hello, I had a question that I was hoping someone could help me out with. We recently found out that our go to analog box camera has been discontinued by Samsung/Hanwha. We were given a replacement option, but when going through the specs I noticed a possible issue. In the specs on the new camera the image sensor is 1/2.8". We have always used 1/3" image sensors. I know that when we order lenses we always make sure that are 1/3". If we made the switch to this new option would the .2" cause issues with our current stockpile of lenses? Would it still fit on the new camera? Would the picture still look good? or would we have to start looking to buy new lenses? I tried searching for lenses with the 1/2.8" format and didn't come up with much. This was only a quick search as I don't want to waste time if our current lenses can be used. I tried to do some research on the subject myself but I'm not really finding that much. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hello, I had a question that I was hoping someone could help me out with. We recently found out that our go to analog box camera has been discontinued by Samsung/Hanwha. We were given a replacement option, but when going through the specs I noticed a possible issue. In the specs on the new camera the image sensor is 1/2.8". We have always used 1/3" image sensors. I know that when we order lenses we always make sure that are 1/3". If we made the switch to this new option would the .2" cause issues with our current stockpile of lenses? Would it still fit on the new camera? Would the picture still look good? or would we have to start looking to buy new lenses? I tried searching for lenses with the 1/2.8" format and didn't come up with much. This was only a quick search as I don't want to waste time if our current lenses can be used. I tried to do some research on the subject myself but I'm not really finding that much. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Why not check with the camera manufacturer?

I don't use interchangeable lenses on my cameras as mine are all fixed or variofocal but on my DSLr's the lenses are interchangeable. I can use lenses designed for full frame sensors on my smaller sensor cameras with no problem as they are all digital and talk the same language, but I would not be able to mount a lens from a different camera manufacturer. Sometimes when you mount a lens that is not intended for that camera it will produce a picture but wont adjust electronically as the electronics don't talk to each other.

At a guess I'd think if the lens will mount on the camera it will allow a picture to be produced but you will have to check to see if the electronics will still work with your lens. Why not do a check on your lens to see if it will be compatible with the camera do the check the other way around? If you are still not sure and failing that just buy a camera with fixed lens that is compatible with your system.