mcbink

IP Camera video storage at home

Hi All,

Recently read a comment on here that IP Cameras, can store video using Cloud at home. I was aware storage is possible at the NVR using a HDD and Web storage via a paid internet site. But someone on here said you only needed local Cloud at home with no internet.

Can anyone explain how this works. Recording directly to cloud storage at home without internet access?

Hi All,

Recently read a comment on here that IP Cameras, can store video using Cloud at home. I was aware storage is possible at the NVR using a HDD and Web storage via a paid internet site. But someone on here said you only needed local Cloud at home with no internet.

Can anyone explain how this works. Recording directly to cloud storage at home without internet access?

Web storage via paid internet site ....... is basically your renting space on someone else’s server.... there are lots of ways to set it up....... you could even ask a member of your family to host space on there pc / server

Or use your own and have it local .... hidden in loft .... you only need a hard drive hub connected to your router...... and you can access that local without any internet or you can make it available over wan.

Always safer to build your own and better and no stupid monthly costs for each camera . And also paid cloud is like giving a stranger access to your camera system

Hi All,

Web storage via paid internet site ....... is basically your renting space on someone else’s server.... there are lots of ways to set it up....... you could even ask a member of your family to host space on there pc / server

Or use your own and have it local .... hidden in loft .... you only need a hard drive hub connected to your router...... and you can access that local without any internet or you can make it available over wan.

Always safer to build your own and better and no stupid monthly costs for each camera . And also paid cloud is like giving a stranger access to your camera system

Hi All,

Thank's Tom,

I need to look at this in depth. I have not found info on how to link a camera directly to a HDD without using some sort of software via the internet yet, but from your reply it seems to be possible. Maybe I'm having a problem grasping the technology. What I was wondering is can you go directly from a camera to HDD to store video via Local wireless system? I'm guessing you still need some video management software to organise the footage. Using a PC means having a PC on all the time which is why I wondered if you could store directly from the camera to a HDD.

Hi. Take a look at Synology NAS .... Lots of users on the forum

We use personal cloud. Works the same way

You only need Internet if you want to save the data off site

But there are a few ways of doing it if on a budget ......you have the Swann NVR ..... You could set up a second NVR at home or in another country

With the personal cloud we use ...... We have 4 cameras 60 mile away collecting licence plates and colour of vehicles..... That data is sent back via 4g both video and snapshot

Hi. Take a look at Synology NAS .... Lots of users on the forum

We use personal cloud. Works the same way

You only need Internet if you want to save the data off site

But there are a few ways of doing it if on a budget ......you have the Swann NVR ..... You could set up a second NVR at home or in another country

With the personal cloud we use ...... We have 4 cameras 60 mile away collecting licence plates and colour of vehicles..... That data is sent back via 4g both video and snapshot

I have a Swann DVR at the moment, but may plan to move to NVR and IP Cameras in the future, maybe NAS too.

I have been looking at the Synology (NAS, Network Attached Storage) system and think it is a possibility but I'm not sure if I would really need it. So far as I can see you pay a fee if you want to add more than two cameras. I have not looked to see if it is a monthly fee or a one off fee. It does seem that the Synology system allows you to manage the storage yourself, rather than have paid storage by an internet cloud service that could be accessed by the cloud provider, so has it's advantages. Paying to store surveillance video where other people could view it, is like saying, I have something worth looking at so don't peek! It's one of the areas that I need to look at in depth.

The DVR HD system I have, is basic, but works. One problem is that it's basic and I'd like some features like thumbnail viewing when searching through stored footage as this can help reduce the time spent pinpointing an event. I'd also want a system that records to the full extent of MP on all cameras not just a couple of channels then downgraded to half the MP on the rest which is pretty useless in my view.

You have given me some food for thought Tom, Cheers.

Just look at building your own cloud

And not have any fees or problems

A lot of manufacturers offer a few days cloud back up. Likes of lorex and qvis ... and cloud is based in the same country you purchase in.

No name China with there cloud is often in China