QC444

Lost 3 cameras THIS MONTH! Any cure ???

I'm losing cameras to lightning. Lost 2 just today to a severe storm.

I turned the power off thinking that would keep the cameras from getting damaged but it didn't help.

I guess the only way to save CCTV outdoor cameras during thunderstorms is to have a cover ready and install a protectiove cover over the lens before the lightning starts.

This is getting expensive.

do you use POE cameras or analog. THere are several mfgs of surge protectors that will work with coax or cat 5. We have run into a job that required camera runs from outside to have entrance protection before the feed went into the switch or NVR. Keep in mind that a direct hit will take out the camera but hopefully your protection will save the building. Google CCTV lightening protection and you will see plenty of hits and price ranges.

Thanks, problem is it's not electrical surge in the lines that's blowing them.

It's Lens sensor overload from lightning striking too close in visual line of sight of the Lens.

The equivalent of a high powered Laser directed right at the sensor.

I could take out all your security cameras from the street with a common laser pointer (the ones facing the street anyway)

Criminals are getting wise to that fact. Cameras are soon going to need auto shutters to shutter the lens instantly when the light entering the

sensor exceeds a certain lux. That would protect them from lightning strikes as well.

BTW....lightning can destroy a CCTV camera even if it totally powered off.

I can have several cameras mounted at the exact same location with their lines running alongside one another.

All the cameras facing one direction get popped. The cameras facing the other direction are fine.

It may be possible to adapt fairly inexpensive photo reactive glass (such as found in welding masks) to shield CCTV cameras from lightning and laser damage

interesting how do you determine that the light flash is the problem and not an induced voltage from lightening? either way I would install protection If you think that the flash is the problem why not get a welding helmet that does the automatic darkening thing and try it? It would be interesting to know how it works.

interesting how do you determine that the light flash is the problem and not an induced voltage from lightening? either way I would install protection If you think that the flash is the problem why not get a welding helmet that does the automatic darkening thing and try it? It would be interesting to know how it works.

Because I saw lightning take out at least one of the cameras. Lightning struck about 100 yards away. Only the camera directly facing the lightning bolt was damaged.

Others, even closer to the strike, were unaffected.

Well I am no expert on matters electrical but I have seen many cases where equipment has been ruined and other components within inches of the damaged equipment are fine even cameras sharing the same power supply. If it were me I would first look at surge protection and grounding. You could try the welding shield experiment but it would be hard to verify Did you send any cameras back to the mfg for warranty maybe they could give you a cause for failure.