Sign in to follow this  
tank1949

Proprietary cameras and cabling?

I am researching a new security camera system for my home. My older Defender lacks much, and proprietary cameras and cabling making it impossible to replace defective cameras. In addition, each of my Defender cameras could record at about 400 lines of resolution/ea., but its playback was only around 200. Unless something was close, the system was poor at best.

I am currently looking at Swan 16 channel with 12 wired 1080p cameras (playback as well) and 4 wireless. I emailed Swan concerning details but they have yet to return my emails.

It is my understanding that the wireless only record when motion activated. I assume this is to save battery life. However, I have AC power near where I would install the wireless cameras. Does anyone know if these wireless cameras can be connected to AC and be constantly on?

Their cabling is BNC. Yet, I researched to discover that some CCTV systems are now using special CAT 5 cabling for power and data. Which is the best? Will other cameras work on the Swan’s BNC cables? Purchasing proprietary equipment sometimes forces owners to replace complete systems.

My Defender cabling is currently in my attic. I live in Florida and do not want to go back into my attic. I plan on creating an external cabling tray outside underneath my home’s soffit to run cables. In the future, I will not be hindered by proprietary equipment or wiring.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Hi . I would look at something better than Swann

If you are looking at using your existing coax cable then you need to look at HD analog such at cvi or tvi (Swann is tvi)

Cat5 cable will run all types of camera formats so if you are re- cabling go with cat5.

I would look at lorex which is dahua and much better than Swann at the same price.