Khandurian

Underwater PTZ?

Is there such a thing? If there is, can someone point me to one? I haven't found one.

Got a specific application for it, and yes, it will be submerged 24/7

I can already imagine the questions that people are gonna ask, so I am just gonna come out and say what its for. It's for monitoring fish in a pond that keep disappearing.

We have had a camera covering the grounds, no one stealing them, so were trying to find the predator!

Plus, he wants to document the breeding habits in the pond. So it will need some sort of night vision as well.

Thanks!

I have had requests in the past for underwater ptz's and have not found one. If you think a ptz would be best maybe try another route.

1. Fixed underwater cameras. Also if needed you could use a motorized zoom lens in an underwater enclosure.

2. Mount a pan tilt unit above water upside down with the underwater housing below using 2 fixed rods to the underwater enclosure. (one connected to the end of the tilt plate and the other connected around the pan enclosure) It would still give you stability and allow pan/tilt.

3. Combination of 1 and 2.

Most of the underwater ptz cameras that are used on remote submersibles are built by the subs manufacturer. You could also get in contact with them. Just do a search on remote submersibles to find a manufacturer.

Hope that helps.

I have searched and searched and have not found a PTZ that can be submerged 24/7............probably safe to say one does not exist for this immediate application

You can buy acrylic domes and columns, you could just make your own. Then the PTZ is never actually in contact with the water.

Somebody makes a DIY aquarium that supposedly you sit under and put your head through a dome in the floor. You could assemble that putting the bottom plate in upside down. Then all you need to do is make the top cover waterproof and ancor it out there.

EDIT:

Maybe something like this.

http://www.praecogito.com/~brudy/zaza/pictures/photos/DCP00198-2-0.shtml

What would happen if you just used regular bullet cams?

If you could submerge a PTZ, how would you maintain the covering from algae, and lime, or anything else that can block the view?

Too bad you could not use rain X on the "glass". I would imagine it would it would poison the fish.

airtight does not mean water will not get through it especially left 24/7 submerged

True, but the best people to ask about that would be Pelco.

I could aways build a small acrylic box to mount a regular ptz in, I was just trying to save some time. I have actually built several aquariums on the side so it's not that big of a deal.

Thanks for the clues and information.

You would probably need a IP68 rated system, IP68 is a rating where the product is tested to work 'long term' underwater, under pressure.

Most stuff, including the pelco mentioned is rated at best at IP66, which is not designed for underwater use.

You have to remember that its much easier to 'airtight' or even waterproof something at normal pressure levels (rain, spray etc) than it is to completely seal a product so it can withstand the extra 'underwater' pressure - and the deeper it goes the more pressure it has to withstand. Also, most weatherproofiing is designed for withstandings medium term punishments (ie it does not rain for ever) but when its in a pond, it has to be permanent...

Do a search on IP ratings, and BS. EN.60529 to find out more about the different types of ratings.

A IP68 system will probably not be cheap so one of the other solutions would probably be more realistic.

Yes, I actually know somewhat about that. However, were talking a max depth of 8 feet. Most likely hovering around the 4 to 5 foot mark.

I have already built a water proof box, will be submerging it and letting it sit for a week and test it. I'm pretty confident it will hold up for long periods of time.

We have caught the culprit that was "stealing" the coy. Stupid wild boars! Get your fish somewhere else!

edit: in answer to the problem of algae. Yes, this is always a concern, and the customer has been informed that weekly maintenance will be required to keep clean.

Never seen such a beast, but would imagine an Acrylic housing, with 2 to 3 psi of Nitrogen kept inside. Would have to weight it down inside the pond, to keep it from moving and floating away. Small Nitrogen bottle, with regulator, but only a few psi, so not too much stress on the Acrylic itself.

Idea, make a submergable housing to mount the ptz in,

Also I have used some underwater cameras and whilte Hi bright leds are the best for that situation,

Just get a decent low light (colour switchable) ptz and construct a solid clear housing and you have your own, make sure all leads and cable entries are water proof or youll have trouble..

To correctly adjust your containment pressure, here's some info I learned from SCUBA books:

- for fresh water, 30 feet equals 14.7 PSI (1 ATM)

- for salt water, 33 feet equals 14.7 PSI (1 ATM)

So for a camera 10 ft deep, the containment pressure should be about 4.9 psi

A real simple way to adjust the pressure is to mount a very low-range vacuum-pressure gauge on the side of the chamber, with the gauge in the water. As the containment descends the gauge goes into the negative due to water pressure on the outside of the gauge, relative to inside the chamber.

As the containment descends, slowly pressurize to keep bringing it "up" to zero PSI to 0.5 PSI on the meter.

Here a low-cost low-range vacuum/pressure gauge used for fuel pump testing that would work:

http://deniz.com/cgi-bin/cisco/HGKDT2521.html

The Moondance would work since it is IP68 rated... though depth of course does matter.

IP68 - Totally protected against dust / Protected against long periods of immersion under pressure.