Excalibur

Motion detect record setup

Hi good people of the forum

I have a Fuho HA-8160B DVR system running 5 cameras. I've had the DVR for several years and has worked fine.

I even setup remote internet view via No-ip.com. It is on my home PC network via network cables and internet VDSL modem.

I recently upgraded the firmware and then the problem started. The motion detection does not trigger a flagged event to view in the playback area. It was originally setup by the vendor to record 24/7 plus motion detect record.

This worked great because I had 24hr video and flagged video clips of detected motion. It was a great time saver.

I've tried and tried for several days but I can't get the DVR to function as before. The motion detection side is actually working because on screen there appears an "M" on screen. Also it will sound a beeper/buzzer.

I feel the solution is some simple setting/s but after battling for so long I'm getting frustrated.

It runs:

5 cameras (of a possible 8 )

H.264 DVR client

OCX version 1.0.3.9

Firmware V2.3_0613

I can post screenshots of settings etc if requested.

Please help. Thanks.

Screenshots of Fuho H.264 DVR Client:

263068_1.jpg

This pic shows red flags in playback tab,,, and the way the system can tag the motion clips.

263068_2.jpg

Camera settings page. I have tried a large combination of settings. There must be 100's of possibles.

263068_3.jpg

The record page. Note the REC.MODE. It has two options: Schedule or Always.

With regard to the Rec mode>schedule>setup(button) as above, this page is presented with a somewhat curious array of settings:

263960_1.jpg

Am still struggling so hoping this pic of the options will help solve the mystery.

Thanks

To add to the puzzle I was able to see the settings and compare them back-to-back with an exact same DVR purchased as a second unit on the same day. Everything looks fine and I exactly duplicated the settings to double check.

It appears that the earlier firmware which I over-wrote (V1. 1_1224) is what is required but I can't download it from Fuho or elsewhere, it's just not available. Nor can I extract/copy it from the second DVR.

On a good note, the bios update did cure some annoying problems with errors and network speed problems.

Thanks

To add to the puzzle I was able to see the settings and compare them back-to-back with an exact same DVR purchased as a second unit on the same day. Everything looks fine and I exactly duplicated the settings to double check.

It appears that the earlier firmware which I over-wrote (V1. 1_1224) is what is required but I can't download it from Fuho or elsewhere, it's just not available. Nor can I extract/copy it from the second DVR.

On a good note, the bios update did cure some annoying problems with errors and network speed problems.

Thanks

Set the recording schedule on alarm (in your last picture) ? If the motion detection menu: configure that motion gives an alarm signal.

unix1992. Thanks for the note and the opportunity to review. I can confirm that your instruction does switch on the motion detect function. In doing so, the continuous function is switched off. It seems I can have one or the other but not both at the same time, as I have had for the last 3.5 years.

My hard disk gives about 5 weeks of recording so I don't have a need to save on disk storage. When I bought the DVR, I thought all DVR's had combined motion detection and continuous so nothing was missed. Now I hear that some have and some don't. Indeed I use the continuous feature a lot. It captures my mailbox, people walking past the property, activity at the property across the road, etc, etc. None of these are in a motion detect zone but they still play a valuable part of the security.

265060_1.png

In this screen capture, the top right camera shows "R" & "M", I believe for Record and Motion.

265060_1.jpg

This screen capture is how the schedule is set as viewed by a network PC. The same setting page when viewed via monitor attached to the DVR shows a red tick in the alarm option.

263068_1.jpg

Typically a file list should look like this, with motion detected events as red exclamation icons and continuous recordings as the other icon looking a bit like a clock.

Perhaps I'm missing something. I've put in a huge amount of time testing and trying all manner of setting combinations. If the problem is caused by firmware update, then the puzzle is why has the later one removed functionality?

Thanks.

unix1992. Thanks for the note and the opportunity to review. I can confirm that your instruction does switch on the motion detect function. In doing so, the continuous function is switched off. It seems I can have one or the other but not both at the same time, as I have had for the last 3.5 years.

My hard disk gives about 5 weeks of recording so I don't have a need to save on disk storage. When I bought the DVR, I thought all DVR's had combined motion detection and continuous so nothing was missed. Now I hear that some have and some don't. Indeed I use the continuous feature a lot. It captures my mailbox, people walking past the property, activity at the property across the road, etc, etc. None of these are in a motion detect zone but they still play a valuable part of the security.

265060_1.png

In this screen capture, the top right camera shows "R" & "M", I believe for Record and Motion.

265060_1.jpg

This screen capture is how the schedule is set as viewed by a network PC. The same setting page when viewed via monitor attached to the DVR shows a red tick in the alarm option.

263068_1.jpg

Typically a file list should look like this, with motion detected events as red exclamation icons and continuous recordings as the other icon looking a bit like a clock.

Perhaps I'm missing something. I've put in a huge amount of time testing and trying all manner of setting combinations. If the problem is caused by firmware update, then the puzzle is why has the later one removed functionality?

Thanks.

I don't think it is affected by upgrading the firmware, since you have written that the 'spare' dvr has the same interface.

Well, could you post screenshots of the Motion menu, the motion detection settings of camera1 and alarm menu?

Hmmm after reading a bit of the full manual: the red records are ''data of alarm trigger: Red color''

So it has something to do with the settings in the 'alarm' or 'motion' menu.

Maybe something like this:

Rec mode: always

Motion setting:

Video channel: 1

Enable: On

Sensitivity : ...

Motion detection area: ...

Record channel: 1

Alarm out: ...

Alarm Buzzer: yes

Alarm duration: 10s << looking at manual, this should be adjusted

Event pop up: 15s ??

so channel 2 should be

Video channel: 2

Enable: on

Sensitivity : ...

Motion detection area: ...

Record channel: 2

Alarm out: ...

Alarm Buzzer: yes

Event duration: 10s

Event pop up: 15s ??

unix1992. Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion of settings yesterday when the sun and clouds were constantly triggering my motion detection. So I was able to try and retry and recombine a large number of settings.

All were based on the "always" setting for Rec.mode. None worked as hoped though I can confirm I am able to set the buzzer duration, not that it helps.

Screenshots as requested with one of the many settings tested:

265418_1.jpg

Actually, I don't know what this page does. Nothing that I need it seems. Tested numerous settings here.

265418_2.jpg

In the meantime I returned the 2nd Fuho DVR to where it monitors a private residence. It works perfectly with continuous and motion detection simultaneously. It red flagged the motion video segments and recorded continuous in exactly the way I need.

I was suggested of a way to get motion and continuous. I could install a 2nd camera in the locations where I must have both. One set to motion, the other to continuous. After all it was pointed out I had 3 spare ports. My response was that it a very extreme way to fix the problem.

Actually, I don't know what this page does. Nothing that I need it seems. Tested numerous settings here.

265418_2.jpg

In the meantime I returned the 2nd Fuho DVR to where it monitors a private residence. It works perfectly with continuous and motion detection simultaneously. It red flagged the motion video segments and recorded continuous in exactly the way I need.

I was suggested of a way to get motion and continuous. I could install a 2nd camera in the locations where I must have both. One set to motion, the other to continuous. After all it was pointed out I had 3 spare ports. My response was that it a very extreme way to fix the problem.

That 'sensor' page is used for external sensors, so if you have a PIR sensor or a doormagnet sensor or any other sensor connected to the DVR. In that case the DVR will be in alarm modus when the sensor has been triggered. Strange that the motion triggered recording is still not working....

.. Strange that the motion triggered recording is still not working....

Yes, that's putting it mildly. I must have tried all the possible settings multiple times so unless there's some trick or tweak...

One thing happened as I was tweaking and saving various setting, it would randomly red flag a video segment. Firstly camera 3, then a single flag on camera 4. Nothing to do with my problem though, just software quirkiness I expect.

I did contact the seller who could not remember the Fuho setup much at all. They did offer to sell me an upgrade DVR for over $600.

I so regret updating the firmware. Of note my original firmware version does not come up in a Google search.

At present it looks set to remain a puzzle. Thanks to any/all who have responded.

I have seen problems like this when router firmwares are upgraded too.

Bottom line, don't upgrade firmware unless you HAVE to. You almost certainly will break something that wasn't a problem before. (It's all because of bad programming.)

What I would do is see if you can contact the dvr maker for the old firmware. That would be a shot.