thedude22

Blue Iris Software

7.3 cents is very cheap an well below the national average...are you sure thats the rate? make sure you add both the supply and delivery. While i think the national average is about 12 cents, i pay about 20.

That said the only way to determine consumption is to use a killawatt meter to test the machine under its normal load.

I never build anymore...its makes no financial sense...Particularly if you are paying for the OS. There are TONS of great deals of refurbished business class systems that are only a few months old (make sure they are using haswell fourth gen processors)..they are built exceptionally well and run perfect. Every single one of my blue iris installs (and i have many) run on refurbished dell/hp/lenovo business machines without a hitch..There are some great small form factor business machines as well if you dont care for expansion room...Always check the processor benchmark...

I'm in IL and yes that is correct. We have 2 different companies that do the supply and delivery. I guess I haven't studied my bill enough to figure out the actual cost with delivery charges but I'm always looking for ways to cut power usage.

I've thought about using the hikvision on cam nvr software and hooking up a drive to my router which has a nas function. I think that would be the cheapest way to go. I've experimented sending snapshots to the router via ftp and video on my acti cams but some of these features are nearly useless for me after trying it. So I'm back to where I started and have made peace with running a nvr pc but still have concerns about power usage. I have a killawatt meter and while I don't remember how much of a load I put on the a10 machine when I tested but it averaged about 40 watts.

Some of my concerns with a pre built machine are that once the warranty is gone I'm not sure if the windows license would transfer to a new motherboard or even if you can replace the motherbord. I have seen cases that are backwards so you can't replace it without changing that out too.

Test the machine with a load of about 50 percent....You can just download the blue iris demo and test it...

By the time you need to upgrade the motherboard on a prebuilt machine the OS license is not worth much... At that point you would just by a new machine.....

To those familiar with Blue Iris. Is it possible to access it remotely by P2P? Or do they plan to implement it any time soon if there is still no P2P capability?

What other pc based recorder has P2P capability (where it can be accessed remotely) or does it need a hardware implementation that no pc based can do?

Probably too late but Hikvision has motion sensor program with its NVR that you select and deselect what areas you want the motion to be captured.

So you could select just your mail box and deselect everything around it and it will only show events for your mail box.

I have BI4 running on two machines. Both machines monitor nine cameras (2-1.3mp,3-2mp,4-3mp) One pc is running an i7-4770 with cpu util of around 18%. The other pc is running with AMD FX-8350 monitoring the same cameras with a util of around 22% The two BI4's are setup slightly differently in terms of motion-sensing but overall utilization is about the same on both. I also run a Dahua 4216 nvr. I much prefer the BI4 solution over the dedicated nvr. The reasons for this is the flexibility of BI far surpasses the dedicated nvr. The support that Ken gives is outstanding both in quality of service and speed. Just about every day there are upgrades to BI Dahua makes some fine products and decent prices but their support is almost non-existent. I have heard recently that Dahua is opening up a tech support center here in the US soon so maybe that will improve.

Do not buy this software.

I have been using this for about 2 years. When it first came out is was great.

It has recently been bought out by a foreign company. The price went to $60.

You only get one install. They shut down my software in my shop. I only have the cameras at home now.

Since then it has gone down the waste.

They are doing updates once or twice a week. Each time they do it causes another problem.

I have had enough.

I am now using iSpy a free open source program. I recommend it. Simple but gets the job done.

Do not buy this software.

I have been using this for about 2 years. When it first came out is was great.

It has recently been bought out by a foreign company. The price went to $60.

You only get one install. They shut down my software in my shop. I only have the cameras at home now.

Since then it has gone down the waste.

They are doing updates once or twice a week. Each time they do it causes another problem.

I have had enough.

I am now using iSpy a free open source program. I recommend it. Simple but gets the job done.

You are a LIAR. Simple as that. Blue iris has ALWAYS been 60 dollars for version 4. It was 50 dollars for version 3. That is lie 1.

It was NOT bought out by a foreign company. It has always been and still is developed by perspective software run by Ken Peltzer.

http://blueirissoftware.com/ ....Lie 2.

The license is for ONE machine. If you want to install it on another machine you should deactivate the license in the about tab and then enter the key in the new machine. Lie 3.

Blue iris has ALWAYS pushed new features about every few weeks and minor tweaks once or twice a weak. ALWAYS. Turn off auto update and wait for the release to be out for a while before updating. Lie 4.

Ispy is NOT free. They charge a perpetual monthly fee for remote access and alerts which is insane. Lie 5.

Seems like you work for a competitor or you simply have a grudge (likely because of user error) and feel its proper to make FALSE statements about blue iris.

A little bit of internet detective work shows that you started using ispy in 2012....you likely never used blue iris 4 which was released in 2014 and has been constantly updated.

http://foscam.us/forum/fi8918w-keeps-resetting-t1948-10.html

you use foscam cameras and expect someone to take your advice seriously?