Quick

Where to buy Hikvision?

I'm kind of homing in on Hikvision. So far I've decided on (2) DS-2CD2032-I, (2) DS-2CD2232-I5. Still need to pick one for the porch (something with a 2.8mm?) and probably the same for 1 interior camera.

So where/who to buy from?

1) I want to be sure it's a genuine Hikvision (are knockoffs common?)

2) I want an English version (or is it simple to change the region code?)

3) I assume I want the latest firmware version? I'm confused here. Seems some people have some problems with the newest releases? and the newer firmware versions exclude one from downgrading?

4) I don't think I need a warranty from Hikvision as long as I can easily return the item if it has problems on arrival. Like returning to Amazon. I'm willing to forgo any warranty past that.

Who to buy from would be dependent on where you reside?

If yu want to buy from a box moving operation that won't

support you and will just replace or refund when you decide

the unit is too complicated for you then Amazon sounds like a good bet

If you are concerned it will be a genuine Hikvision, I have never seen a fake

and have never heard of a fake (that doesn't mean they don't exist )

Latest Firmware? If you had done your research you'd know that the latest firmware

can always be downloaded from the support portal on the HIkvision website.

I'd like to suggest you need to buy from a supplier that "actually understands CCTV"

not some retailer that knows nothing about anything they sell. except what the profit margin is.

Latest Firmware? If you had done your research you'd know that the latest firmware

I'd like to suggest you need to buy from a supplier that "actually understands CCTV"

not some retailer that knows nothing about anything they sell. except what the profit margin is.

Thanks for the reply. I'm here in the US.

My main concern was knockoffs. Was reading comments where people said they got generic boxes with unbranded cameras that they thought were knockoffs (one said it came with a plastic base/housing when it should have been metal.. I figured it might just be a newer model). I know that large manufacturers make their product for re-sale/re-branding by other sellers. Discounters often pick up batches of those so that was probably the case with those grey market units.

Amazon sounds like the place for me. My concern for return is physically DOA/defective out of the box. Complicated is not a problem. I develop networking firmware for a living. I might have to spend a little time but I figure I have a fair chance of working through the configuration and operating it.

Yes, I did read that the latest firmware could be downloaded from the site. I also read that some of the newer revisions had issues and some people were downgrading for their particular needs. I also read that newer versions of the firmware do not allow (or make it more difficult) to downgrade to an older version. So my question was not if I was able to upgrade. My question was IF I want the latest firmware. Implicit in that was if it is still fairly easy to downgrade then it wouldn't be an issue. Like if it's relatively easy to upgrade/downgrade by tftp'ing the image to the device instead of using the normal UI.

The question about getting an English version had to do with how easily the region code could be changed. From my research it seems that the region code is separate from the upgrade-able image. Maybe it's in a different part of the memory/flash/whatever. It also seems that some of the discount vendors are liable to ship units set to Chinese or International even though they might say or imply it's the English/US version. Again, if changing the region code is doable then it wouldn't be a consideration.

I figured there were one or a couple of popular vendors that people buy Hikvision from. Most if not all the Hikvision cameras on Amazon are sold by their marketplace partners/vendors and not directly by Amazon.

Thanks for the reply. I'm here in the US.

My main concern was knockoffs. Was reading comments where people said they got generic boxes with unbranded cameras that they thought were knockoffs (one said it came with a plastic base/housing when it should have been metal.. I figured it might just be a newer model). I know that large manufacturers make their product for re-sale/re-branding by other sellers. Discounters often pick up batches of those so that was probably the case with those grey market units.

Amazon sounds like the place for me. My concern for return is physically DOA/defective out of the box. Complicated is not a problem. I develop networking firmware for a living. I might have to spend a little time but I figure I have a fair chance of working through the configuration and operating it.

Yes, I did read that the latest firmware could be downloaded from the site. I also read that some of the newer revisions had issues and some people were downgrading for their particular needs. I also read that newer versions of the firmware do not allow (or make it more difficult) to downgrade to an older version. So my question was not if I was able to upgrade. My question was IF I want the latest firmware. Implicit in that was if it is still fairly easy to downgrade then it wouldn't be an issue. Like if it's relatively easy to upgrade/downgrade by tftp'ing the image to the device instead of using the normal UI.

The question about getting an English version had to do with how easily the region code could be changed. From my research it seems that the region code is separate from the upgrade-able image. Maybe it's in a different part of the memory/flash/whatever. It also seems that some of the discount vendors are liable to ship units set to Chinese or International even though they might say or imply it's the English/US version. Again, if changing the region code is doable then it wouldn't be a consideration.

I figured there were one or a couple of popular vendors that people buy Hikvision from. Most if not all the Hikvision cameras on Amazon are sold by their marketplace partners/vendors and not directly by Amazon.

Your best bet is to find a security company in your area willing to resell you some cameras. Hikvision USA is carried by ADI and Tri-Ed/Anixter now so any half-reputable dealer can get a hold of them, although don't be shocked at the price (easily double Amazon/eBay pricing).

Thanks guys.

I have cameras and they're already hung (except for the inside one). Now I'm just working on terminating the cabling (wired the whole house with CAT6 for the home network at the same time).

DS-2CD2032-I (v5.2.0-140721) 4 mm

Front corners of the house. Bit more light out front with some street lighting and a porch light. and they're very discrete.

DS-2CD2232-I5 (v5.2.0-140721) 4 mm

Rear corners of the house. Pretty much no light.

DS-2CD2532F-IS (v5.2.0-140721) 2.8 mm

Front door.

DS-2CD2732F-IS (v5.2.0-140721) 4 mm

Interior - ceiling mount

ZyXEL GS1900-8HP POE Managed Switch

Pretty much dedicated network for the security cameras. Cameras <> POE switch <> Synology DS1513+.

Have an extra d-link wireless router I can plug in temporarily to use a laptop to configure things, aim the cameras and talk to them directly. Fun project! (and I could get a job in IT when I'm done).

You;re in the USA well that narrows it down to a single sub-continent so thats is a little easier. Narrow it down even further by Stae of even dare I say it CITY, then somone is bound to know the local Hikvision distributor or retail supplier.

Hikvision is very nice equipment for the money and worth the little extra.

You;re in the USA well that narrows it down to a single sub-continent so thats is a little easier. Narrow it down even further by Stae of even dare I say it CITY, then somone is bound to know the local Hikvision distributor or retail supplier.

Hikvision is very nice equipment for the money and worth the little extra.

2 posts above yours. 3 weeks ago. Got them, installed them. Thanks.

Hikvision is a very good brand and these cameras are way cheaper here as compared to local market.

No quality issue, I received genuine product and fast delivery (3rd day).

It's obviously too late but yes, these are good cameras for the price. Unfortunately, I'll never consider HikVision again.

They are a too much of a security risk as it was discovered that their cameras were installing Bitcoin mining nodes customer networks.

It's obviously too late but yes, these are good cameras for the price. Unfortunately, I'll never consider HikVision again.

They are a too much of a security risk as it was discovered that their cameras were installing Bitcoin mining nodes customer networks.

You have no clue....next time properly secure your device.

The person in fact making this statement indeed has "a clue" and in some cases without also doing a firmware upgrade properly securing your devices ("As you call it") won't help fix those issues:

http://overseas.hikvision.com/europe/Press-Release-details_435_i4987.html

http://overseas.hikvision.com/europe/list01_435.html

Any suggestion that nobody should expose their NVR/DVR/IP Camera to the outside world is also not a solution in cases where only a firmware upgrade can truly fix an issue.

Which would be like telling someone who is afraid of falling while walking outside. That the solution for them, is that they should never go outside and then their problem would be solved.

I hope that someday, you can respectfully respond to others here in this forum. Without the need to insult them, while responding.

Don

The person in fact making this statement indeed has "a clue" and in some cases without also doing a firmware upgrade properly securing your devices ("As you call it") won't help fix those issues:

http://overseas.hikvision.com/europe/Press-Release-details_435_i4987.html

http://overseas.hikvision.com/europe/list01_435.html

Any suggestion that nobody should expose their NVR/DVR/IP Camera to the outside world is also not a solution in cases where only a firmware upgrade can truly fix an issue.

Which would be like telling someone who is afraid of falling while walking outside. That the solution for them, is that they should never go outside and then their problem would be solved.

I hope that someday, you can respectfully respond to others here in this forum. Without the need to insult them, while responding.

Don

Properly securing the device with a vpn will ALWAYS prevent these issues - THAT IS FACT. Any lies you post otherwise is a veiled attempt to promote your practically useless "solution". Firmware updates will ALWAYS be months behind the hackers. It is NOT a solution. Stop embarrassing yourself. Take some time out and learn about ip cameras and network security. Your poor advice is a huge security risk to end users.

Dont tell me how to act, I could care less about your opinion, I will never respect YOU, EVER. You have been proven a novice amateur who repeatedly misrepresents information on this forum and therefore anything you say is highly suspect.

Furthermore, the exploit you linked to requires the attacker to know your user name and password. Do you even bother to read the crap you link to. WOW.

Most importantly its imperative to note that these exploits are found ALL popular cameras, including your dear beloved foscam (except that foscam just decides to "end of life" any camera they dont want to patch...)

Finally, listen to the moderator and dont you EVER attack my posts.

Properly securing the device with a vpn will ALWAYS prevent these issues - THAT IS FACT. Any lies you post otherwise is a veiled attempt to promote your practically useless "solution". Firmware updates will ALWAYS be months behind the hackers. It is NOT a solution.

Dont tell me how to act, I could care less about your opinion, I will never respect YOU, EVER.

Furthermore, the exploit you linked to requires the attacker to know your user name and password. Do you even bother to read the crap you link to. WOW.

Most importantly its imperative to not that these exploits are found ALL popular cameras, including your dear beloved foscam (except that foscam just decides to "end of life" any camera they dont want to patch...)

Your response to the person mentioning the reasons why they won't purchase a specific brand of IP Camera devices ("Their choice") stated that the person "Did not have a clue". Your words, not mine.

I decided to show you and others, that they in fact did have a clue.

As noted in my prior post here. In some cases, only a firmware upgrade will "Prevent" these issues. The manufacturer states so themselves.

While you should be proud of your less than 3 years experience with IP Cameras. Please don't take it personally that myself and others may choose to follow the manufacturers advice vs. yours in cases like this.

IMHO. Insulting others does not help make your points stonger in your responses. I will let the Moderators and Administrators here, deal with your incessant insults to others here in your responses.

I'm not going to argue with you on this. I show here, that even the manufacturer disagrees with you. That's enough proof, by me. On this subject matter.

Don

Properly securing the device with a vpn will ALWAYS prevent these issues - THAT IS FACT. Any lies you post otherwise is a veiled attempt to promote your practically useless "solution". Firmware updates will ALWAYS be months behind the hackers. It is NOT a solution.

Dont tell me how to act, I could care less about your opinion, I will never respect YOU, EVER.

Most importantly its imperative to not that these exploits are found ALL popular cameras, including your dear beloved foscam (except that foscam just decides to "end of life" any camera they dont want to patch...)

Your response to the person mentioning the reasons why they won't purchase a specific brand of IP Camera devices ("Their choice") stated that the person "Did not have a clue". Your words, not mine.

I decided to show you and others, that they in fact did have a clue.

As noted in my prior post here. In some cases, only a firmware upgrade will "Prevent" these issues. The manufacturer states so themselves.

While you should be proud of your less than 3 years experience with IP Cameras. Please don't take it personally that myself and others may choose to follow the manufacturers advice vs. yours in cases like this.

IMHO. Insulting others does not help make your points stonger in your responses. I will let the Moderators and Administrators here, deal with your incessant insults to others here in your responses.

I'm not going to argue with you on this. I show here, that even the manufacturer disagrees with you. That's enough proof, by me. On this subject matter.

Don

Stop posting lies about my level of experience. You have obviously been proven wrong and have nothing to say. Firmware updates are useless in preventing the new attacks because they are months behind. The manufacture did not disagree with me. STOP making things up. You keep spinning your lies. I defy you to explain to me how the manufacturer disagrees with anything I have stated. YOU CANT. You will keep spinning your web of lies, but you cannot explain it. I DARE you to try. Also as per the mods instructions to YOU, STOP attacking my posts.

Hikvision have started to give patches out for this problem

But there is another problem if your using a dell PC it gives the same problems

I'm kind of homing in on Hikvision. So far I've decided on (2) DS-2CD2032-I, (2) DS-2CD2232-I5. Still need to pick one for the porch (something with a 2.8mm?) and probably the same for 1 interior camera.

So where/who to buy from?

1) I want to be sure it's a genuine Hikvision (are knockoffs common?)

2) I want an English version (or is it simple to change the region code?)

3) I assume I want the latest firmware version? I'm confused here. Seems some people have some problems with the newest releases? and the newer firmware versions exclude one from downgrading?

4) I don't think I need a warranty from Hikvision as long as I can easily return the item if it has problems on arrival. Like returning to Amazon. I'm willing to forgo any warranty past that.

FORGET HIKVISION. TOO MANY ISSUES, TOO MANY GAMES, TOO MUCH MONEY. MOST DEFINITELY, I ONLY DEAL WITH DAHUA PRODUCTS. OEM NON BRANDED IS THE BEST WAY TO GO FOR THE SAME BRANDED QUALITY, BUT AT A MUCH BETTER PRICE, SAME SUPPORT, AND 3 YEAR WARRANTIES. MY PLACE IS A DIRECT DISTY CALLD SAVVYTEC SECURITY. I DEAL WITH A GUY THERE NAMES KRIS. BESIDES THE PRICES, DAHUA TRIBRID CVI DVRS RUN ON ONE COAXIAL CABLE FOR POWER, VIDEO, AND AUDIO/MIC. NO SEPERATE RUNS. ON NVRS, YOU GET HIGHER MBPS, HIGHER FPS(FRAMERS PER SECOND), MORE PLAYBACK CHANNELS, AND STILL AT A LOWER PRICE.

WITH DAHUA OEM FROM HERE, COMPARED TO HIKVISION, YOU GET A BROADER PORTFOLIO TO CHOOSE FROM, LOWER PRICING, BETTER CABLING PERFORMANCE EVEN WITH POOR QUALITY CABLE, AND MORE ADVANCED FEATURES ON CAMERAS AND RECORDERS. GIVE THEM A SHOT, TELL KRIS "BIG AL" FROM ALBERT'S CCTV REFERRED YOU. TRUST ME. " title="Applause" />

In Latvia, EU Hikvision official distributor is BK Latvia: http://www.hikvision.com/europe/distributionPartner.aspx?c_kind=43&c_kind2=45&c_kind3=53&c_kind4=267#maodian

But, they didn't sell production to the end users.

Our company DIR.LV is BK Latvia gold partner, and we can offer best prices to all Hikvision products. This is genuine Hikvision with latest software and multi language interface.

Thanks to good Expeditor Services we can offer delivery in 10 days to all EU countries and US in low cost. We accept PayPal payments

Please check here - Video survellance systems, IP cameras, Hikvision, Dahua - http://DIR.LV/en/

In Latvia, EU Hikvision official distributor is BK Latvia: http://www.hikvision.com/europe/distributionPartner.aspx?c_kind=43&c_kind2=45&c_kind3=53&c_kind4=267#maodian

Our company DIR.LV is BK Latvia gold partner, and we can offer best prices to all genuine Hikvision products.

Thanks to good Expeditor Services we can offer delivery in 10 days to all EU countries and US in low cost. We accept PayPal payments.

Please check here - https://dir.lv/en/

Our company DIR.LV is BK Latvia gold partner, and we can offer best prices to all genuine Hikvision products.

Thanks to good Expeditor Services we can offer delivery in 10 days to all EU countries and US in low cost. We accept PayPal payments.

Please check here - https://dixxxxxn/

So is this your way of saying your not a authorised distributor??

Are you going to keep spamming